Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
My monthly plan is $45 for 22GB. I've been eligible for an "upgrade" since last year. Whatever the hell their definition of "upgrade" is.

Anyway, I decided to "upgrade" by choosing the 2-year contract and paying $549 for iPhone 12 Pro instead of the usual $999. I thought it was fair (just like in the olden days): they sell me the phone at a discount, and I shackle myself to them for 2 years in return. Fair, right?

Guess what, suddenly my 45-dollar plan gets a mandatory monthly charge of $25 for the duration of the contract. I was like "say what?????"

What kinda SCAM is this corporation running???

Whatever happened to the subsidy???? Whatever happened to my 2-year enslavement to these SCAMMERS???? Where is the "upgrade" then?? What is so "upgrade" about this "deal"?? What is the point of the 2-year contract then?? What the hell is happening??

The worst part is:

549 + 25*24 = 549 + 600 = 1149

So, not only is their "upgrade" a SCAM, but I also overpay for the phone. And on top of that, I enslave myself to them for 2 years. Are they for REAL????

Is anyone else outraged at this SCAM???? Who do I call to report this?? FCC?

Last edited:

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Verizon charges that fee on certain plans. I used to have it on my previous Single Line Unlimited plan, but it was $20.

I believe with the newer plans, it’s all rolled in together.

You should call Verizon in the morning to get it sorted.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
They won’t sort it as it’s the charge for doing a 2 year contract. You essentially get a break on the plan or on the phone not both.
You might be able to change your plan to a new unlimited plan and not pay the extra $25 but you’ll likely be paying more overall anyway.

also it’s not a scam they disclose it in their flow. I’m not on Verizon I’m with att but it was the same for att as well.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
They won’t sort it as it’s the charge for doing a 2 year contract. You essentially get a break on the plan or on the phone not both.
You might be able to change your plan to a new unlimited plan and not pay the extra $25 but you’ll likely be paying more overall anyway.

also it’s not a scam they disclose it in their flow. I’m not on Verizon I’m with att but it was the same for att as well.

By sorted, I meant OP getting an understanding.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
It’s how they recoup their discount on the device. in all reality it makes absolutely no sense to do a 2 year agreement. between what you are paying for the phone and the increased charge for data for being on contract you are better off doing installment or full price purchase.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.