Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caviar_X

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
My iPhone XS Max is cracked on the back on the phone and I have a Genius appt this Friday for repair using AppleCare. I've already activated my 12 Pro Max but I'm wondering since the back is cracked will I receive a refurbished XS Max and will Verizon be OK accept the device? I'm worried I should have done this before activating my Pro Max. If I return the phone damaged VZ will charge a fee. Any advice?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
My iPhone XS Max is cracked on the back on the phone and I have a Genius appt this Friday for repair using AppleCare. I've already activated my 12 Pro Max but I'm wondering since the back is cracked will I receive a refurbished XS Max and will Verizon be OK accept the device? I'm worried I should have done this before activating my Pro Max. If I return the phone damaged VZ will charge a fee. Any advice?

Verizon definitely checks the IMEI or the serial number to see if they get the expected device back from you. At least they did with my trade-in of an XS Max for a 12 Pro.

I would call Verizon and explain that you want to give them a fully undamaged device, but that you will be using AppleCare+ to do so and the device you turn in may be a different one to what they expect. See what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.