Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
According to a highly placed source of ours, Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPad devices on their network. We have been told that the model they are testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and while our source mentioned LTE in some capacity (possibly another model), we haven’t been able to independently confirm that part of it.

Link

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
The question is will the current iPads work with just a Sim change or will you need a Verizon compatible iPad????

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The question is will the current iPads work with just a Sim change or will you need a Verizon compatible iPad????

You will need a new iPad. Verizon uses CDMA technology now and is moving to LTE for 4G data speeds. Current iPad uses GSM technology (which most of the rest of the now world uses BTW).

I'm still not convinced we will see a Verizon iPad or iPhone in 2010. I think it is more likely to happen when LTE is rolled out in a large enough area (probably in 2011). Also AT&T is also going to use LTE for 4G data so it makes sense to me that an LTE capable iPad that will work on Verizon and AT&T may come at some point. By then we will all be looking to buy 2nd (or 3rd) generation devices anyway.

The Boy Genius report could be based on Apple building test units for the LTE network, but not planning on mass producing them until LTE is widely available, but you never know.....maybe we will get some answers at the June 7th meeting. If Verizon is annouced for iPhone at that time I think a Verizon iPad will follow shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.