Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am looking for some assistance on how to properly approach the trade-in situation. I am looking to upgrade my wife's iPhone 12 Pro to a regular iPhone 15. Currently Verizon is offering a full $830 for trading-in anything from iPhone 11 and up to qualify for that credit. The thing is, the iPhone 12 Pro that my wife has, just got the battery replaced under Apple Care+, so essentially it is a brand new phone. We do not want to trade-in this phone, instead, we want to trade-in an older phone - iPhone 11 Pro Max that one of our daughters have. The iPhone 11 Pro Max is not under a Verizon account, but the phone is fully unlocked and used to be on the Verizon account.

Here are my questions.
Can I initiate a Verizon trade-in for my wife and indicate that I want to use a different phone than the one that is listed on the account for trade-in? Or do I need to swap the phone between my wife and daughter, so that the iPhone 11 Pro Max is listed under the Verizon account before initiating the trade-in?

A separate question, is there any benefits / difference to do the Verizon trade-in purchase at Verizon corporate store vs Apple Store? Since this would be a Verizon trade-in, not Apple trade-in, I wonder if there is any real benefit to go to Apple Store vs a local Verizon corporate store?

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Don’t initiate trade-in yet when you upgrade. You can go to VZ store within 30 days to do trade-in when you are ready and knowing which phone you want to trade-in.

Reactions: mlody

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I have previously traded in a random Android phone that I bought from Walmart toward a new iPhone. Check in with Verizon but it shouldn’t be a big deal.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am looking for some assistance on how to properly approach the trade-in situation. I am looking to upgrade my wife's iPhone 12 Pro to a regular iPhone 15. Currently Verizon is offering a full $830 for trading-in anything from iPhone 11 and up to qualify for that credit. The thing is, the iPhone 12 Pro that my wife has, just got the battery replaced under Apple Care+, so essentially it is a brand new phone. We do not want to trade-in this phone, instead, we want to trade-in an older phone - iPhone 11 Pro Max that one of our daughters have. The iPhone 11 Pro Max is not under a Verizon account, but the phone is fully unlocked and used to be on the Verizon account.

Here are my questions.
Can I initiate a Verizon trade-in for my wife and indicate that I want to use a different phone than the one that is listed on the account for trade-in? Or do I need to swap the phone between my wife and daughter, so that the iPhone 11 Pro Max is listed under the Verizon account before initiating the trade-in?

A separate question, is there any benefits / difference to do the Verizon trade-in purchase at Verizon corporate store vs Apple Store? Since this would be a Verizon trade-in, not Apple trade-in, I wonder if there is any real benefit to go to Apple Store vs a local Verizon corporate store?

I've done this. Locked Tracfone iPhone 6s for an iPhone 15 Pro (add a new line). You just need to choose Trade in a different device when you get to the page where you can choose the device to trade in. Make sure you've disabled Find My before you enter the IMEI for the trade in since Verizon's system checks for iCloud activation lock.

I ordered my 15 Pro online and dropped off the 6s at a Verizon store. Safer than shipping the trade-in since they inspect in-store and give you a receipt for the trade in.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I've done this. Locked Tracfone iPhone 6s for an iPhone 15 Pro (add a new line). You just need to choose Trade in a different device when you get to the page where you can choose the device to trade in. Make sure you've disabled Find My before you enter the IMEI for the trade in since Verizon's system checks for iCloud activation lock.

I ordered my 15 Pro online and dropped off the 6s at a Verizon store. Safer than shipping the trade-in since they inspect in-store and give you a receipt for the trade in.
Thank you for sharing this which is very helpful for future reference. 😊 Dropping a trade in item at corporate store is definitely the safest way to do then mailing it.

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Thank you for sharing this which is very helpful for future reference. 😊 Dropping a trade in item at corporate store is definitely the safest way to do then mailing it.
I dropped my trades at a Verizon store on the Wednesday after release this year. They were checked and I was out the door with my full credit receipt in about 10 minutes. So much easier than waiting for the mail-in portion to complete and hoping it doesn’t get lost.

Reactions: rui no onna

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

Thank you for the tip to disable Find My. I am going to place an order today and see how it goes. Will definitely drop off the trade-in to a local corp store as I also dont want to deal with shipping and lost packages.
One free upgrade will make 2 people happy = win :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.