Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
upgrading my son's iPhone XR...I understand the downside of Verizon's offering...but assuming that 1. I have no intention of leaving Verizon and 2. my son plans on keeping this phone for two years...is there any downside I'm missing?

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
I think another important thing to note that people keep missing in the fine print is that if choose a 13 pro you have to commit even longer to 2.5 years (30 months) to get the full credit. If you get a regular 13 or mini it’s 24 months.

That's only through Apple. Direct from Verizon, you can do 24 or 30.

Rockoo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Fake news i did 24 months for pro max
Not “fake new”, when you do the Verizon trade in offer through Apple store it says it right there in details

F8D1FAB4-34EF-461B-914C-E0B031E90DCE.jpeg

If you skip apple and do it through Verizon they have 24 month options for both

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
But at least with 2 year contracts, you owned the phone right away and could sell it whenever you want. Now, if you want to sell the phone before 2 years, you have to pay it off and lose the credit. So you're not only contracted to the service, but to the device now too.

That being said, the Verizon website does give you the option to pay full price for the phone up front instead of on a payment plan, and still receive the trade in credit over 24 months.
With Verizon you can sell the phone if you want before the 2 years are up - before 2 days are up. You just have to add another phone to the line - that way the new phone has a clean ESN and can be activated by someone else. You will still get the monthly credits on the line as long as the line is active. Verizon automatically unlocks the phone after 60 days to any CDMA carrier - but you can sell to another Verizon client immediately - you don't really need to activate it on the line with the credits if you don't want to.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
With Verizon you can sell the phone if you want before the 2 years are up - before 2 days are up. You just have to add another phone to the line - that way the new phone has a clean ESN and can be activated by someone else. You will still get the monthly credits on the line as long as the line is active. Verizon automatically unlocks the phone after 60 days to any CDMA carrier - but you can sell to another Verizon client immediately - you don't really need to activate it on the line with the credits if you don't want to.
So...say I have an iPhone 12 Pro, and am getting an 512 GB iPhone 13 Pro Max. If I go thru Apple, the payment is $31.62/month (inclusive of the trade-in on my 12 pro). After a year, assuming the residual is about 50%, I trade it in to Apple and continue to pay ~$32/month...so over two years, I pay $758.88. If I go thru Verizon, the first year would be $13.33/month. I upgrade in year 2 for the same monthly ($31.62) thru Apple, but continue to pay the $13.33 to Verizon. Total for two years is $699.36 (which assumes the iPhone 14 is the same price as the 13). Overall, the Verizon deal is okay, but not earth-shattering.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Can someone tell me what Im getting wrong here:

The deal is $1000 for a high-end trade in (IP11Pro) and I get low monthly payments for my iP13Pro upgrade, in the area of $10/month for the device (30 months), and I have too upgrade to Play More plan at $10 more per month. The new plan actually saves me becasue it includes Disney+ and Hulu which I pay for, and now wont have to anymore.

If I keep the phone for 30 months, how does this not work out in my favor? Can someone enlighten me?

Reactions: Starsinthetech

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal

The deal is $1000 for a high-end trade in (IP11Pro) and I get low monthly payments for my iP13Pro upgrade, in the area of $10/month for the device (30 months), and I have too upgrade to Play More plan at $10 more per month. The new plan actually saves me becasue it includes Disney+ and Hulu which I pay for, and now wont have to anymore.

If I keep the phone for 30 months, how does this not work out in my favor? Can someone enlighten me?
The only thing I would change is moving to 24 months - it is likely only a couple of dollars more and you will be ready for the new iPhone 15 Pro Monstrosity :) in 2 years - for free. I think it is a great deal if you plan on staying with Verizon - which I have for over a decade. *After trying AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and finding them inferior for my area...

Reactions: nycgeo

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020

If you actually pay for Disney+ and Hulu right now, then the deal might be ok for you. I doubt you’ll want to keep your new phone for three years though. You’ll regret it before then.

For someone who doesn’t care about Disney and Hulu, they are paying more in service costs to pay for the increased trade in value Verizon is willing to give.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
The only thing I would change is moving to 24 months - it is likely only a couple of dollars more and you will be ready for the new iPhone 15 Pro Monstrosity :) in 2 years - for free. I think it is a great deal if you plan on staying with Verizon - which I have for over a decade. *After trying AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and finding them inferior for my area...
I’m gonna try to switch to 24 months, but AFTER I get the phone. I don’t want some shenanigans that’s gonna have my ship date pushed back to october

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I ended up doing it over 24 months. $41.66 a month and a net monthly cost of $0 after credits for my 11PM. I increased my plan monthly for $10 but saved $5 for my watch. I already have Hulu Live but I guess kids can watch Disney+ If they want.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I ended up doing it over 24 months. $41.66 a month and a net monthly cost of $0 after credits for my 11PM. I increased my plan monthly for $10 but saved $5 for my watch. I already have Hulu Live but I guess kids can watch Disney+ If they want.
You might enjoy Disney+ as well - they have every Pixar movie - all the old Disney movies and many many other films and shows that are not just directed at kids. (Plus every Star Wars movie - lol)

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
On Verizon and looking at trade ins. Considering trading in a Samsung phone we have around the house for $800 off towards the iPhone 13 PM. I understand it is $800 credit spread over 24 months and fine print says that the credit will end either after $800 is given or when I terminate/pay off the phone. Say I want to get the iPhone 14 next year and still have $400 owed to me, does that credit disappear since I will have to pay off the 13 PM to upgrade to a 14?
You can’t pay it off early. The only option is to pay it over the rest of the 24 months. (Unless they’ve changed it since I did it — they told me if I pay it off, I’d lose the trade-in promo).

However… you are not locked into that phone. You just have to keep that line open.

Last time I did the monthly installments, I ended upgrading the next year just like you’re saying. What I did was just swap the SIM card into the new phone and gave the old phone to my mom. The monthly payments continued for the remaining year, even though I wasn’t using that phone anymore.

This was a few years ago so I’m assuming it will still work the same.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
I made an error. Trading in 11 Pro Max for 13 Pro Max 24 months $1,000 of bill credits BUT. I meant to pick full retail when paying instead of 24 months. Which is $8.33 24 months balance remaining the $199.99 Can they change this or let me guess I would have to cancel order and redo it? It would change my ship date from Oct 1st to Oct 8th.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Verizon has never given monthly credits when paying for a phone in full upfront, so I’d be very wary of trying that out. Might end up being a big headache to get it changed to monthly device payments when you realize in a couple months that the trade in credits aren’t showing up on your bill as expected.

Reactions: FattiesGoneWild

Jmik4

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
This question may be similar to whats been discussed here but does anyone know if they apply the 1000$ credit and i return my 11 pro max but then I decide I want the 13 Pro instead of the Pro max I have on order will the credit just stay applied to my account then I can return the Pro max and get the Pro? Or should I not ship my trade in until I decide if I want to keep the bigger Pro max?

Appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.