Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
I purposefully used way over 10 GB of tether data to see if Verizon had in fact a "hard cap" on the mobile hotspot. So far, I've used about 15GB of tethering and my speeds haven't slowed down a bit. Maybe they put that wording in just to deter people from using the hotspot as their home ISP?

Reactions: Applejuiced

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think I've heard other people haven't had their hotspot throttled to 3G yet either. I'm pretty sure that's not going to last too long.

Side question- your hotspot data used counts toward your 22gb priority data, right? It's not separate, correct?
First time I've used hotspot so this might be a dumb question.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yep, everything is still brand new so I'd go for it while it lasts.
It doesnt mean that it will be like that for good but would be nice.
But again we're talking about Verizon here so dont hold your breath it will last long :D
[doublepost=1487455530][/doublepost]
I think I've heard other people haven't had their hotspot throttled to 3G yet either. I'm pretty sure that's not going to last too long.

Side question- your hotspot data used counts toward your 22gb priority data, right? It's not separate, correct?
First time I've used hotspot so this might be a dumb question.

Yes, it comes out of your monthly data limit/soft cap.

Reactions: subjonas

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Is it supposed to be throttled or deprioritized? If the latter you may never see drops.
I think for mobile hotspot, it's throttled, at least for t-mobile.
First 10g at 4g LTE speed, and the rest at 3G speed. Data usage on your phone itself is deprioritizing.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm still over here with my grandfathered UDP/Unlimited Tethering plan trying to figure out if I should make the jump to this and get the bill down from the current $200+ I'm playing

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
I purposefully used way over 10 GB of tether data to see if Verizon had in fact a "hard cap" on the mobile hotspot. So far, I've used about 15GB of tethering and my speeds haven't slowed down a bit. Maybe they put that wording in just to deter people from using the hotspot as their home ISP?

I'm assuming you used your phone's native data meter, or a separate app to measure this?

As of now VZW doesn't have anything to tell us how much hotspot data were using that I know of.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I'm still over here with my grandfathered UDP/Unlimited Tethering plan trying to figure out if I should make the jump to this and get the bill down from the current $200+ I'm playing

Don't lose your grandfather UDP plan. It is priceless. To be able to cruise the internet, stream, run mobile navigational aids, etc month after month without worrying about the data meter running or losing sleep over it, is well a gift all unto itself.

Reactions: mvsrt99

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Don't lose your grandfather UDP plan. It is priceless. To be able to cruise the internet, stream, run mobile navigational aids, etc month after month without worrying about the data meter running or losing sleep over it, is well a gift all unto itself.
The new Verizon plan has unlimited data and tethering. How would one be giving up anything?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Priceless huh?
Now that every single carrier is offering UDP how is it priceless if anyone can get unlimited data plans on all 4 major networks?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma

It is a gift but over $200 month is the problem I do get my monies worth but

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
The new Verizon plan has unlimited data and tethering. How would one be giving up anything?

GUDP: Supposedly not to be reprioritized or throttled at all (although I hear there is a higher limit like 100GB or whatever)

New UDP: Explicit 22GB "deprioritization" cap which may or may not kick in at 22GB, with effects that remain to be seen. Please keep in mind no good tests have been done yet, and even if they are, we are only a week into this new plan. I hear they have not throttled the tethering either.

Either they know people will be testing and reporting, and want things to test better early on to get more people to switch, or there is just not as much traffic to trigger the deprioritization. Who knows.

We should have a better idea 6 months-1 year.

They are not the same plan. You are giving up something, but it's really more not having to worry about deprioritization, which may not affect you much. In exchange you get unlimited texts, calls, and 10GB LTE tether and unlimited 3G or slower after that.

Fair exchange on its face, but not equal. Otherwise they would charge the same for it. They are charging more for GUDP, and I bet it is for a reason.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Please Be advised to ALL People and this is a PSA.

Over the course of the next 7 Months til September or sooner Cell phone Carriers will Stop at Nothing to get New Subscribers Locked in before the Launch of the Galaxy 8 Lines and IPhone 8 or IPhone Pro lines they will be Generational improvements. You will see.

#1. Half Price Discount plans
#2 Buy 1 Get 1 Free No Additional Line needed.
#3. Unlimited Data Plans (with wording that it does not apply to 5G and a new plan is needed for 5G tricked ya)
#4. Free Phones and Accesories
#5. Elimination of the Buy Now and Get a New Phone Next Year Plans. Because imagine People getting an iPhone 8 or iPHone Pro and they get a New One Next Year. Yeah not gonna happen.
#6. Heavy Advertising

It's all a Big Industry wide Push Before the 2 Mega Devices Launch. And just a mind trick to get People Excited For Unlimited Data Plans that Aren't worth anything.

Reactions: imlynxy

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

Over the course of the next 7 Months til September or sooner Cell phone Carriers will Stop at Nothing to get New Subscribers Locked in before the Launch of the Galaxy 8 Lines and IPhone 8 or IPhone Pro lines they will be Generational improvements. You will see.

#3. Unlimited Data Plans (with wording that it does not apply to 5G and a new plan is needed for 5G tricked ya)
#5. Elimination of the Buy Now and Get a New Phone Next Year Plans. Because imagine People getting an iPhone 8 or iPHone Pro and they get a New One Next Year. Yeah not gonna happen.
#6. Heavy Advertising

It's all a Big Industry wide Push Before the 2 Mega Devices Launch. And just a mind trick to get People Excited For Unlimited Data Plans that Aren't worth anything.

Yeah, but there is no contract under this new plan from what I understand. I would be free to switch to a new plan if they introduce one later down the line.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012

#6. Heavy Advertising

I agree with you. I think the company comes with ~50% off on the phone with 2-year contract( or financial obligation) will be a winner. Look at At&t, the small barrier 370-10xmonth locked millions of customers on their network. T-mobile paid for ETF, but you had to get T-mobile phone, wait 2-3 months, deal with poor billing system.

I almost jumped on VZW 2-year iPhones credit, but thanks God poor network data performance at my place made me return the phones back to them.

I agree we'll see better deals next 5-7 months.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

#6. Heavy Advertising

So how does this relate to the unlimited plan that has no contract or anything like that associated with it?

And how is it that unlimited plans "aren't worth anything" suddenly?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
In my opinion, it doesn't make financial sense to hang onto a plan that cost more, just because one might experience de-prioritization for a few seconds or minutes.
Well like you said, that's your opinion. You asked what you'd be giving up and I told you.

For me, I'd actually be paying more for the new plan as my current unlimited plan with Verizon is $65/month.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013

So did I on my Jetpack, with no issues. At 13gb now. Per Corporate, jetpacks and routers are not included in the 10gb limit, only hotspot usage with phones. They fall under the 22gb deproritize.
[doublepost=1487542540][/doublepost]This was on reddit, but it doesn't count towards router/jetpack devices.
[doublepost=1487543208][/doublepost]More info. No routers/jetpacks listed even though you could category them under internet devices, but routers should be too, and they say 22gb for those.

Attachments

• vL3adLt.jpg
    vL3adLt.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • vAp8FYR.jpg
    vAp8FYR.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 979
  • tQUwFqk.jpg
    tQUwFqk.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,104
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.