Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I have iPhone 8 (signal strength is shown in the upper lefthand corner of my current iphone screen).

I was previously on AT&T, and LTE signal strength was only 1 or 2 bars in my home. My recollection was it showed the bars with "LTE" (or "4G") immediately to the right of the single strength icon.

I decided to give Verizon a try and was initially happy to see full bars. The signal strength shows 4 bars with "Verizon" immediately to the right of the bars.

When I was at the store today, I noticed that it showed 1 bar but instead of "Verizon", it indicated "LTE". So now I'm assuming those 4 bars I see in my home are for something lesser than LTE?

I'm confused. So what does signal strength + "Verizon" mean when there's no indication of LTE, 3G, etc.?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You didn't mention whether you see the carrier name only on the lock screen. On my xR I only see it when the screen is locked. When unlocked I see left to right: time, location services indicator, cell strength, wi-fi strength, battery. Locked I see carrier name, cell strength, wi-fi strength, battery. When I'm off a wi-fi network, that icon is replaced with LTE.

This Apple support article might help you with some of the symbols too:

Reactions: ixxx69

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Ha! You solved it! I didn't realize that when I'm on wi-fi, the LTE disappears. If I turn off wi-fi, the LTE reappears. So I have 4 bars LTE in my home. Awesome. Thanks!

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.