Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
If I combine two numbers on on phone, and want to use one data plan why am I forced to have two? I makes no sense other then greed on the companies side. Is ATT like this too? I just want a line without data for work. I will use my data on my other line...why is that so difficult?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
This^^^.

I know I will get corrected if wrong, but, seem to recall that you cannot have Verizon for both SIMs. If eSIM is Verizon (CDMA), the other SIM needs to be GSM (ATT, T-Mo). Might be a matter of semantics in that Verizon is mostly LTE these days, and this is an "edge case" where phone might drop to a CDMA band?

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
If I combine two numbers on on phone, and want to use one data plan why am I forced to have two? I makes no sense other then greed on the companies side. Is ATT like this too? I just want a line without data for work. I will use my data on my other line...why is that so difficult?

The fact that you use the word greed shows that you're not likely to ever understand, but let me try. VZ's "job" isn't to give you phone service at a rate that you specifically deem reasonable. I know it sound crazy, but the world doesn't revolve around you in particular. VZ's "job" is to make money, and they do that using data communications services. This is because they're a profit driven organization in a capitalist driven society (the US). Their objective is to make as much money as they can for their shareholders. To do this they use some pretty basic economic principles, and they charge as much as the market will bear. While they cannot tailor individual product price points for individual people (deepest apologies) they try to ensure that their services are priced high enough that they make enough money on a per-transaction basis in order to bolster the organization's financial metrics, whilst not being too high that they don't get enough subscribers.

It's not greed. You're welcome. :)

Reactions: digitalexplr

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that you use the word greed shows that you're not likely to ever understand, but let me try. VZ's "job" isn't to give you phone service at a rate that you specifically deem reasonable. I know it sound crazy, but the world doesn't revolve around you in particular. VZ's "job" is to make money, and they do that using data communications services. This is because they're a profit driven organization in a capitalist driven society (the US). Their objective is to make as much money as they can for their shareholders. To do this they use some pretty basic economic principles, and they charge as much as the market will bear. While they cannot tailor individual product price points for individual people (deepest apologies) they try to ensure that their services are priced high enough that they make enough money on a per-transaction basis in order to bolster the organization's financial metrics, whilst not being too high that they don't get enough subscribers.

A little off topic, but to be fair, since it came up, that essentially fits in fairly well with the definition of greed: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/greed

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Why just a shared data plan between the two numbers. You can choose which number use data on and which one not to.
This is what I want to do, but Verizon forces you to carry data on both plans. In my case I have unlimited account with number 1, and unlimited data on account 2. I want to cancel just the data side of number 2 and Verizon says I cannot. So for these two lines I am paying for 2 unlimited data plans despite it being one phone.
[doublepost=1544300517][/doublepost]

I disagree. Your condescending post ignores my original point. The price is NOT an issue. Their service price point is fine. The forcing of secondary products (Data in this case) with the main product despite having no need simply to keep their profit/revenue up is exactly my issue. In my case, it forces me to move from the carrier. I am sure this is just the way they battle ESIM because they don't want the lost money. And yes, I still find it greed. Thanks for your deepest apologies though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.