Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Here's my input, in relation to your post. VZW has offered wifi-based calling already via its (pretty crappy) Messages+ app for several weeks now - sometimes the iOS app's calling feature works, and sometimes it doesn't.

When I connect to another VZW customer, the voice quality is OK. When I connect to a non-VZW customer or a landline, the voice quality is subpar - muffled as most of VZW's calls are. I can take the same iPhone, put a ATTWS SIM in it and make the same calls (on and off network) and the voice quality is much better - intelligible, actually. The ****** call quality follows my VZW SIM - even with the same unlocked devices. IMHO, VZW is purposely gimping their handsets, and look to Android Central to see that it's not just me or iOS devices.

When I call my house landline from my VZW 6s, sometimes it sounds as if my wife were standing right next to me, the clarity is just that good. It seems not to matter whether VOLTE is enable or not. I've made calls on ATT and TMO iphones and as you said had subpar voice quality. All of this anecdotal stuff; I'm sure you can search the internet and come up with a treasure trove of factoids.

One thing however, I am looking forward to trying out 9.3 and seeing how wifi calling works.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
yes. i just installed beta 3 and turned on airplane mode, then wifi on to trigger it. phone sat there at idle saying "VZW Wi-Fi".

This. And I still receive text, calls, etc. Perfect!
[doublepost=1455989797][/doublepost]
When I call my house landline from my VZW 6s, sometimes it sounds as if my wife were standing right next to me, the clarity is just that good. It seems not to matter whether VOLTE is enable or not. I've made calls on ATT and TMO iphones and as you said had subpar voice quality. All of this anecdotal stuff; I'm sure you can search the internet and come up with a treasure trove of factoids.

One thing however, I am looking forward to trying out 9.3 and seeing how wifi calling works.

If you want it on at at all times (as stated above) you need to toggle airplane mode then turn wifi on. So far it works great and HD calling sounds fantastic.

Reactions: I7guy

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
This. And I still receive text, calls, etc. Perfect!
[doublepost=1455989797][/doublepost]

If you want it on at at all times (as stated above) you need to toggle airplane mode then turn wifi on. So far it works great and HD calling sounds fantastic.
How does Verizon wifi calling sound quality compare to FaceTime Audio? Or other wifi calling apps (Whatsapp, Skype, etc.)?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
How does Verizon wifi calling sound quality compare to FaceTime Audio? Or other wifi calling apps (Whatsapp, Skype, etc.)?

Sounds like an HD call - Crystal clear, like the person is in the room with you. That was on a Verizon to Verizon call though.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
My buddy is running beta 9.3 and he said it's flawless. Crystal clear. Handoff between LTE and wifi is unnoticeable.

I've run into an issue over the last couple days with Wifi calling. Whenever I call another VoLTE device that's on the network and not on Wifi, I get an error telling me to hang up and call from a device 'on the mobile network'. It wasn't like this at first, but if it's going to be like this when its released to the public is going to be worse then pointless.

I don't think this happens when I call standard 1xRTT phones, but I could be wrong.

**EDIT. You need to add the area code.

Last edited:

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I've run into an issue over the last couple days with Wifi calling. Whenever I call another VoLTE device that's on the network and not on Wifi, I get an error telling me to hang up and call from a device 'on the mobile network'. It wasn't like this at first, but if it's going to be like this when its released to the public is going to be worse then pointless.

I don't think this happens when I call standard 1xRTT phones, but I could be wrong.

**EDIT. You need to add the area code.
If you add the area code, then it works?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
If you add the area code, then it works?

Yep. So if I dial a phone number in my area code, say 626-555-1234 but dial just 555-1234 and not the entire number, I get an error saying to call them 'on the mobile network'. Again, I think this is only affecting VoLTE devices on Verizon.

EDIT: this affects all numbers unless they too have VZW Wifi calling. I called a friend with Wi-Fi calling enabled without an area code and it was fine.

Reactions: Shark5150

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's finally good to get Wi-Fi calling with Verizon with iOS 9.3 being publicly released.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Does anyone know if Verizon WiFI calling works on a iPhone 5s? I don't have one handy at the moment and I want to know before I tell a friend to turn it on.

Last edited:

asu1996

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
It's finally good to get Wi-Fi calling with Verizon with iOS 9.3 being publicly released.

Does anyone know if you leave cellular turned on and also enable Wi-Fi calling will this use more battery or is ok to leave both on?

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Now that's it's "live", how does it sound when calling a landline or another mobile not using wifi calling? I am unable to test this myself right now. Do you hear an improvement in quality? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.