Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Has anyone confirm if Verizon's iPhone 5s are unlocked for all GSM carrier, including AT&T or T-Mobile, like last year's iPhone 5 ? Thanks for your time.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Has anyone confirm if Verizon's iPhone 5s are unlocked for all GSM carrier, including AT&T or T-Mobile, like last year's iPhone 5 ? Thanks for your time.

Yes. I bought a Verizon iPhone device only in a store in Chicago on Saturday. It was unlocked. I don't even have a Verizon account. It works fine with my AT&T SIM.

However, with the new online reservation system, it might not be possible to purchase it online device only (i.e. they might insist that you sign up for a contract). All Verizon iPhones are unlocked (actually, all Verizon LTE phones are as a condition of their FCC license). However, if you sign a contract then the only way to keep the phone is to pay for a month of service and then pay the ETF (it works out to about the same as a device-only purchase).

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the heads up guys. Figured I posted this thread because, unlike last year, there was no buzz regarding wether indeed Verizon was selling iPhone 5s & 5c unlocked for any GSM carrier. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.