Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgingrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm a recent switcher and while I love macs so far, I have so crazy things going on with my power book. So I received at 15" powerbook, and obviously,it had the horizontal lines. I figured I would just learn to ignore them as they weren't bothering me unless i was really close to the screen.

A day after I got it, I was typing a paper and my 'V' key popped off. It appears that the clip is broken so I will need a replacement key. Apple told me I would have to send the whole book back and they couldn't send me just the key as they "Don't have any extra keys lying around." Called my local apple store and they said they could pop a key on.

All is well until this evening. I go to the bathroom and come back to see the horizontal lines have now turned into vertical lines and rather annoying ones even from a normal distance. On top of that, I have squiggly, faint, pink, static lines running around around the lower part of the screen. I tried reseting the vram and to no avail, they are still there. As I type this the screen flickers and pink shows up and fades.

I haven't heard of this problem before and was wondering if anyone else out there was experiencing the same problems.

I am not too upset as I will just demand a replacement, however while I have 5 papers to write in the next few days, this doesn't help. Also my roommates are now convinced macs are the devil "that's why you don't buy a mac." Anyways, looks like I will be chatting with Applecare tomorrow.

Ps. This pink flickering is going CRAZY right now.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
cgingrich said:
I am not too upset as I will just demand a replacement, however while I have 5 papers to write in the next few days, this doesn't help. Also my roommates are now convinced macs are the devil "that's why you don't buy a mac." Anyways, looks like I will be chatting with Applecare tomorrow.

Ps. This pink flickering is going CRAZY right now.

Register the issue ASAP so you get it lodged as quickly as possible. Usually (not sure about USA) 1-2 weeks means instant replacement of any lemon.

Start a diary now of all actions and conversations with Apple, numbers, names etc.

Take pics of screen and keyboard, serial number etc for your record in case any disputes arise.

Hopefully, Apple will be good and things will go well. But its not always the case. Best to play it safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.