Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I have noticed this new iPhone has a very aggressive auto-brightness. Wondering if the rest of forum has noticed this also or maybe it’s just this device.

iPhone 13 Pro Max / 256GB

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Auto brightness is adaptive. If you manually adjust the brightness then auto brightness will remember that and try to adjust to that same brightness level when the ambient light level is the same. This is good because it allows us to customize our brightness levels, but it can also get out of sync if you manually bring the brightness way up or way down for any reason.

However, if you manually adjust it when you see it too bright or too dim for your liking then it should soon get back in sync. I’ve also heard that manually turning off auto brightness and then turning it back on will reset it back to the defaults, so you could try that too.

Reactions: Man on the moon

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Chances are I may have received a faulty phone only because I notice the screen dim right when it changes and yet my brightness slider is all the way up.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
That might not be autobrightness. If the phone starts to get too hot then it will dim the screen to protect it from damage. If this is happening when the phone is very warm then that might be what you are running into.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Yes, I have to keep dialing my screen brightness back down. Maybe it’s adaptive and will learn what I prefer? I hope…

I’ve also noticed that the camera app really increases exposure/brightness on photos when the scene is dimly lit. You can see deep fusion or whatever kick in about 1 second after the shot and the clarity improves and the scene gets much brighter.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I’ve also noticed that the camera app really increases exposure/brightness on photos when the scene is dimly lit. You can see deep fusion or whatever kick in about 1 second after the shot and the clarity improves and the scene gets much brighter.

I think that’s the long exposure night mode kicking in. As you aim the camera at a dimly lit screen you can see night mode come on with a yellow indicator near the top of the screen by the flash indicator. It will say something like 1S or 2S to indicate that it is going to do a 1 or 2 second exposure. It can go all the way up to 10 or 15 seconds if it detects that the phone is on a tripod or something else to hold it steady. When it takes a long exposure you should keep the camera aimed at the subject for the full exposure time for the best results, holding it as still as possible.

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
That might not be autobrightness. If the phone starts to get too hot then it will dim the screen to protect it from damage. If this is happening when the phone is very warm then that might be what you are running into.
The phone is unusually warm, when this happens and yet I am just browsing safari.

Never noticed this on iPhone 12 Pro Max.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Just an FYI - I noticed that the phone does not seem to reach max brightness if the "auto brightness" setting (in Accessibility) is turned on. Even if you have the slider all the way up, it doesn't seem to match a phone with the auto brightness turned off.

You can confirm this by testing two phones side by side (i.e., checking your phone against Apple Store display models). The in-store models have "auto brightness" turned off and are set to max brightness.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
The phone is unusually warm, when this happens and yet I am just browsing safari.

Never noticed this iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Yeah, I think that’s what you’re seeing and not autobrightness. The phone is probably running warmer than normal right now because of the restore and iCloud sync and indexing operations that happen during the first day with a new phone. I would expect that you won’t see this happening tomorrow while you’re browsing. It would happen with the 12 pro max as well if it gets too warm. I’ve seen it happen frequently if the phone is outside in direct sun on a warm day (which happens a lot here in Florida)

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Just an FYI - I noticed that the phone does not seem to reach max brightness if the "auto brightness" setting (in Accessibility) is turned on. Even if you have the slider all the way up, it doesn't seem to match a phone with the auto brightness turned off.

You can confirm this by testing two phones side by side (i.e., checking your phone against Apple Store display models). The in-store models have "auto brightness" turned off and are set to max brightness.
I was under the impression it would only reach max brightness if auto-brightness was on.

interesting

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Auto brightness is adaptive. If you manually adjust the brightness then auto brightness will remember that and try to adjust to that same brightness level when the ambient light level is the same. This is good because it allows us to customize our brightness levels, but it can also get out of sync if you manually bring the brightness way up or way down for any reason.

However, if you manually adjust it when you see it too bright or too dim for your liking then it should soon get back in sync. I’ve also heard that manually turning off auto brightness and then turning it back on will reset it back to the defaults, so you could try that too.

Is there a source that talks about this? Not disagreeing, but I have never read about auto brightness being adaptive to an individual users habits before.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008

I can definitely confirm this, at least indoors with conditions being equal — my 13 PM with AB on looked very dim compared to my 12 PM with AB off, with sliders on each all the way up. Once I turned off auto brightness on my 13 PM, it looked pretty equivalent to the 12 PM. Maybe a hair brighter

however, it’s possible the 13 PM would have boosted more, to its quoted 1000nits, going outside — not quite sure how this works yet

Reactions: julesme

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Is there a source that talks about this? Not disagreeing, but I have never read about auto brightness being adaptive to an individual users habits before.

A quick google search brought up this article. I’m sure there are more if you look.

This is an iOS feature that learns from user preferences. When you manually change the brightness level with auto-brightness enabled, the OS understands when your screen is too dim, or too bright, for you to comfortably use. Once it knows where to draw the line, it uses that to adjust the brightness of your screen.

Reactions: dmx

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando

You can see this on your own if you play with it a little. Go to a room that’s got kind of a medium amount of ambient light and adjust the phone’s brightness level to, say, 1/3. Then go to a brighter or dimmer room and you can see the brightness go up or down to match the ambient light level. Then walk back to the original room and note that it goes back to where you set it.

Then adjust it manually again, to say 2/3. Again, go to a brighter or dimmer room and again you will see it go up or down to match. Then walk back to the original room and this time it will go to the new 2/3 setting.

Reactions: dmx

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I think that’s the long exposure night mode kicking in. As you aim the camera at a dimly lit screen you can see night mode come on with a yellow indicator near the top of the screen by the flash indicator. It will say something like 1S or 2S to indicate that it is going to do a 1 or 2 second exposure. It can go all the way up to 10 or 15 seconds if it detects that the phone is on a tripod or something else to hold it steady. When it takes a long exposure you should keep the camera aimed at the subject for the full exposure time for the best results, holding it as still as possible.
Nope. Definitely not. Im very familiar with night mode, been using it since my iPhone 11 Pro on launch day. This isn’t that.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Their auto brightness has always been wacked! I usually keep my place on the "dark side", I don't like a lot of light in my apartment and at night, I have ambient lighting on. If I turn on auto brightness, it cranks the brightness all the way down to the bottom of the slider and I can barely read anything lol. Yes, it's way too aggressive!

It's not as bad on the iPads (even though it works the same), my guess is because it's a larger display the default font size is larger, it's a bit easier to see things. I usually use it on my iPad because I have backlight bleeding issues and if I'm watching videos with the brightness cranked up, some of the backlight bleeding really annoys me! :mad:

Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
iPhone 13 here.

In most cases, auto brightness works perfectly for me. The exception is when I'm in a dark room...it turns the brightness way too low for my liking so I have to crank it up manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.