Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
So I downloaded the El Capitan public beta yesterday and I have to say it was nothing but trouble. The installation estimated at "around 32 minutes" took well over an hour and when it finally did get going I was greeted by about half an hour of beach balls and unresponsiveness. Finally, after this it worked relatively smoothly with the occasional beach ball. Decide to leave the house for a while, mac to sleep, standard procedure.

So I come home, wake computer, a little bumpy to display but no real hassle, that is, until I go to put in my password... I start typing, nothing, continue and accidentally hit caps, nothing, then the password bar fills up and caps is stuck on, won't budge. Back to sleep and wake. Now whenever I type nothing happens until about 10 seconds later when the password bar fills again even though I only typed one letter. Eventually I cave in and hold the power button down to turn off the Mac, literally my only option now.

After this everything seemed fine, great in fact. When I turned the Mac back on it displayed a white screen with the Apple logo and loading bar but this soon filled up and went straight to my login. Password goes in fine and I'm on! Once all of my applications have loaded back up (Safari, iTunes, Mail from my last session but for some reason also Photos) everything was great. I've seen no beach balls, everything is SO much smoother and fluent than Yosemite and everything just wants to work brilliantly. This is all without even having the supplemental update.

TLDR: El Capitan made my iMac basically unusable, a restart has made it the best OS X yet.

So, the reason I've posted this thread is really just to generate a response about people perhaps having similar experiences or maybe just having nothing but trouble or nothing but good things. Perhaps maybe somebody else will benefit from my experience if they're thinking about downloading. How did it go for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.