Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theelectronicsofjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Hey guys, I'm new here but I've had strings of Apple issues and just wanted to see if anyone else has had any of the same issues.

I have a Macbook 2017 with Touch bar, and since the release of Mojave my touch bar has been noticeably dim and it's starting to get pretty annoying. I've tried to find anyone else with a similar issue but I've had no luck.

I know that the Touch Bar doesn't have a brightness feature though. It's starting to get annoying that it's so low. Has anyone else been having the same issue?

theelectronicsofjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Hey guys, I'm new here but I've had strings of Apple issues and just wanted to see if anyone else has had any of the same issues.

I have a Macbook 2017 with Touch bar, and since the release of Mojave my touch bar has been noticeably dim and it's starting to get pretty annoying. I've tried to find anyone else with a similar issue but I've had no luck.

I know that the Touch Bar doesn't have a brightness feature though. It's starting to get annoying that it's so low. Has anyone else been having the same issue?

UPDATE:
After inspection at the Apple Store, they determined the issue was unique and that the entire logic board must be a replaced (an $855 repair, but luckily I have AppleCare. There wasn't much inspection to determine it, but I'm fine with a new logic board so long as the computer has no more issues.

I took it in a week ago, and it's about to reach 8 days of being in repair. Apparently, they're awaiting parts and aren't able to do the repair until they do. They quoted 3-5 days, but it's now 8 and counting with no ETA. If I knew it'd take this long, I wouldn't have done it. My schoolwork and job work are now paying the price because of this situation. This experience has been a complete joke.

Reactions: SDColorado

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
UPDATE:
After inspection at the Apple Store, they determined the issue was unique and that the entire logic board must be a replaced (an $855 repair, but luckily I have AppleCare. There wasn't much inspection to determine it, but I'm fine with a new logic board so long as the computer has no more issues.

I took it in a week ago, and it's about to reach 8 days of being in repair. Apparently, they're awaiting parts and aren't able to do the repair until they do. They quoted 3-5 days, but it's now 8 and counting with no ETA. If I knew it'd take this long, I wouldn't have done it. My schoolwork and job work are now paying the price because of this situation. This experience has been a complete joke.
You are allowed to keep using the laptop until parts arrive (i did this before). You can set it so they will give you a ring once they have all the parts and then the repair takes a day or two. Perhaps they would let you pick it up and use it until they have all the parts in?

I guess that Touch ID is part of the Touch Bar and it is linked to the logic board (like the iOS devices).

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
ke
UPDATE:

keep us updated...it should be ready today or tomorrow, i hope

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've seen a handful of other people experience this issue, and in all of those occasions, the repair resolved the issue. Bummer that you needed to have it repaired :(

Genotix

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
What I experienced is that I stuck a Camera cover to the bar of my Macbook Pro 16" screen.

You CAN do this but it should stick out to the LEFT side of the Camera. On the RIGHT side of the screen there is a light sensor which makes the touchbar DIM whenever it is getting dark.
Hence covering that part with the Camera cover made the touchbar go DIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.