Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I didn't notice this that much at first but now that I've spent over a month with my new iMac I'm getting to be pretty disappointed with the screen. Next to my M2 MBA 15" I think this panel is just awful in comparison. You can see in the off center photo it's showing lots of hazy white (this is 50% brightness on both displays). This reminds me of those horrible TN panels I used to get.

The other photo shows the iMac at 0% brightness setting. Why is there still an image on the screen? When I bring my MBA down to zero, it's black.

It's as if somehow the brightness is really jacked up on this panel. Not sure if this is typical? Or if it can be fixed or what?

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpeg
    IMG_2270.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 165

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It’s typical for the lowest brightness setting to turn the backlight completely off on MacBooks but not iMacs. It’s been that way for years now and is likely intentional. There are situations where you might have a MacBook connected to an external display but don’t have an external keyboard / mouse to use with it so you simply turn the backlight all the way off instead of closing the lid. Helps to conserve battery life on the MacBook.

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I tried to simulate the room with comparing my 13" iPad Pro M1. Both at 50% and both at 100% brightness.

I took the pictures with my iPhone 15, no edits. I see a difference in my screens, as I think I should, but they both look Great to me.

HalfBrightness.jpeg Full Brightness.jpeg

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I tried to simulate the room with comparing my 13" iPad Pro M1. Both at 50% and both at 100% brightness.

I took the pictures with my iPhone 15, no edits. I see a difference in my screens, as I think I should, but they both look Great to me.

View attachment 2330009 View attachment 2330008
Thanks for looking at your setup. Did you happen to notice if your iMac when at an angle (like I have in my photo), if it shows that kind of blown out white haze (really noticeable at the bottom of my photo)?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for looking at your setup. Did you happen to notice if your iMac when at an angle (like I have in my photo), if it shows that kind of blown out white haze (really noticeable at the bottom of my photo)?
Maybe so? You probably should visit an apple store if you can, to compare. I am running mine at 2560x1440. I find default 2240 x 1260 just a bit to large and 4480 x 2500 way to small.

IMG_0888 Large.jpeg

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Maybe so? You probably should visit an apple store if you can, to compare. I am running mine at 2560x1440. I find default 2240 x 1260 just a bit to large and 4480 x 2500 way to small.

View attachment 2330084
Ok, so maybe that's just the way it is. I will check out the displays at the Apple Store as you suggested. But I was thinking I probably couldn't see it there anyway because of the lighting.

I run the same resolution you do and for the same reasons! :)

I put my old iMac next to the M3 and it shows similar white but it seems less obvious. Maybe because it a bigger or better display or maybe because I don't have the same Sonoma background there to test with.

I note that this is really obvious at extreme angles and from above and much less straight on. It's just been a pet peeve of mine when displays have (what I consider) poor backlighting and viewing angles. I got spoiled by OLED I suppose.
585BB4F1-07ED-4FE9-A331-392A06139433_1_102_o.jpeg

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
It’s typical for the lowest brightness setting to turn the backlight completely off on MacBooks but not iMacs. It’s been that way for years now and is likely intentional. There are situations where you might have a MacBook connected to an external display but don’t have an external keyboard / mouse to use with it so you simply turn the backlight all the way off instead of closing the lid. Helps to conserve battery life on the MacBook.

AFAIK iMacs have always been this way, at least since the early Intel versions. My 2008 iMac at lowest brightness setting is not very bright but far from black. If you want the display to be off then just put it the screen to sleep.

You guys were right about the brightness controls being slightly different on iMacs. I tried this on my old iMac and sure enough it doesn't go black at 0% brightness. Funny I never realized that before.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I have found nothing disappointing about my M3 screen. Have owned two 27’ iMacs.
I will say that I'm less upset about this after using my M3 iMac in daytime conditions.

However, in the evening, when it's dark and I have to use lighting inside my home I think the screen leaves much to be desired. It's not terrible, just doesn't look as good as in the day or how my M2 MBA looks all the time. And looking back on my older iMacs I am reminded that I was initially disappointed in them as well but for different reasons. I'm sure I'll eventually get over it as I have in the past. ;)

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I leave TrueTone off on all my devices. Thats just me. Some people love it, I don't.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
On the photo it does indeed look like the iMac's got bad viewing angles. Both the Air and the iMac have a static backlight, there is no miniLED or even OLED used for Macbook Airs. I'd check out a couple reviews that test the iMac's screen, usually they'll include viewing angles as well. I didn't hear anything about problems with the display so perhaps Apple uses other panels now that have worse specifications. It's not something Apple usually does, but perhaps this one did slip through QC and shouldn't have made it out the door. If you weren't already out of the return period I'd recommend returning it, if it ends up being abnormal compared to reviews you can make an appointment with Apple and try to get the panel replaced. If it's really out of the norm they'll do the replacement. I don't know what Apple considers within specs.

But there is no reason that iMac should have a worse screen than a Macbook Air out of all Macbooks.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
On the photo it does indeed look like the iMac's got bad viewing angles. Both the Air and the iMac have a static backlight, there is no miniLED or even OLED used for Macbook Airs. I'd check out a couple reviews that test the iMac's screen, usually they'll include viewing angles as well. I didn't hear anything about problems with the display so perhaps Apple uses other panels now that have worse specifications. It's not something Apple usually does, but perhaps this one did slip through QC and shouldn't have made it out the door. If you weren't already out of the return period I'd recommend returning it, if it ends up being abnormal compared to reviews you can make an appointment with Apple and try to get the panel replaced. If it's really out of the norm they'll do the replacement. I don't know what Apple considers within specs.

But there is no reason that iMac should have a worse screen than a Macbook Air out of all Macbooks.
You're right. My comment about OLED was really about my TV, not my computers. I should have been more clear.

I think I will try again to find some articles/reviews that talk about the iMac screen. I did look but wasn't able to find one critical of it while I was still in the return window. Everyone was saying how awesome it was so I tried to kid myself and I let it go. That, I shouldn't have done. But by the same token, I didn't want to play the return lottery and end up with the same thing over and over again.

I do find some solace in that if it is really out of spec that Apple will make it right. I'll see how it goes for now.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Mine looks nothing like those. I never looked at my iMac sideways always face on, so I tried it and took a picture. I cropped it so my kids photos aren't showing. :) I see on extreme angle the bottom looks a bit different but then again that's an extreme view that I never do. lol. I forgot to say, this screen at 4k is beautiful.

Oh one more, my wife MacBook Air M2 15" doesn't show any of what the iMac does on any angle. It's always consistent on her MBA 15" LED Backlit Display with those. Amazing actually.

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Here is one with the lights on inside. Overhead recessed lights, 3K Brightness. Which is how I used the iMac either in door lights or Window open. Never in pitch dark. Looks really awesome!

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Seems some iMacs have considerable backlight bleed. It might really be a lottery how noticeable it is. You can try getting it exchanged but it's up to the Apple employee to determine if they consider it a fault warranting a repair. Unfortunately usually when it comes to such panel issues the only reliable solution is to check it immediately and return/replace until you either get a flawless unit or give up and keep it or buy something else entirely. As this is no longer an option here you might be stuck with it, ultimately you can only try your luck and see.

Take a photo again slightly from the side but in the dark with the display brightness on medium and a completely black screen (without menu bar). Then you can see more clearly that likely the backlight is brighter in the corners or around the edges, that's really backlight bleed which is actually not something I'd have expected Apple's screens to have.

Personally I see extreme backlight bleed like that as a defect and would consider an immediate return warranted. I have returned a couple displays with these issues in the past and that's the only way businesses will learn. If you ask them nicely they'll just say it's normal and you'll be the one stuck having paid the full price for inferior hardware and there is no incentive for them to do better.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Mine looks nothing like those. I never looked at my iMac sideways always face on, so I tried it and took a picture. I cropped it so my kids photos aren't showing. :) I see on extreme angle the bottom looks a bit different but then again that's an extreme view that I never do. lol. I forgot to say, this screen at 4k is beautiful.

Oh one more, my wife MacBook Air M2 15" doesn't show any of what the iMac does on any angle. It's always consistent on her MBA 15" LED Backlit Display with those. Amazing actually.
Thanks for posting those pics! And yes, this is what I expected for mine (like your screenshots). I do see some small amount of discoloration on the first one (highest angle) but even that one looks good.

Reactions: kagharaht

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Seems some iMacs have considerable backlight bleed. It might really be a lottery how noticeable it is. You can try getting it exchanged but it's up to the Apple employee to determine if they consider it a fault warranting a repair. Unfortunately usually when it comes to such panel issues the only reliable solution is to check it immediately and return/replace until you either get a flawless unit or give up and keep it or buy something else entirely. As this is no longer an option here you might be stuck with it, ultimately you can only try your luck and see.

Take a photo again slightly from the side but in the dark with the display brightness on medium and a completely black screen (without menu bar). Then you can see more clearly that likely the backlight is brighter in the corners or around the edges, that's really backlight bleed which is actually not something I'd have expected Apple's screens to have.

Personally I see extreme backlight bleed like that as a defect and would consider an immediate return warranted. I have returned a couple displays with these issues in the past and that's the only way businesses will learn. If you ask them nicely they'll just say it's normal and you'll be the one stuck having paid the full price for inferior hardware and there is no incentive for them to do better.
Thank you for the additional info. And thank you for putting to words what I was trying to get out, "blacklight bleed". It's like the screen has this overall white haze. If you lower the brightness setting, the haze is still there only a little darker. Not very helpful in getting the overall picture to be better.

Yes, it may be difficult to get the Genius Bar to agree that it is a defect. And especially in full light of the Apple Store. Maybe I can bring along some photos to show them? Who knows.

I'll heed your advice for next time and run the machine through its paces immediately. I let it slide this time because otherwise it had no defects anywhere and didn't want to get caught up in the panel lottery but now I think it was a mistake.

Reactions: picpicmac

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Agreed. Why would a computer screen need extreme viewing angles
The iMac M3 screen is gorgeous. I know everyone has a different preference with all things in life. For me, I don't know why it would bother me looking at it in an extreme angle. I never use it in that angle or I just don't get it why it would bother me LOL. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the screen. Thats just me.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Agreed. Why would a computer screen need extreme viewing angles?
The iMac M3 screen is gorgeous. I know everyone has a different preference with all things in life. For me, I don't know why it would bother me looking at it in an extreme angle. I never use it in that angle or I just don't get it why it would bother me LOL. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the screen. Thats just me.
I think you guys are missing the point of these photos. They were taken this way to clearly show a possible defect in the iMac display. Nobody that I know actually uses a monitor from that angle.

The problem for me comes in when I am looking at something when I am not positioned exactly dead on. I have a nice sized desk but have multiple computers/monitors so it's not always possible to be looking at my iMac straight on. Seeing the blacklight bleed as I glance over at the iMac from an angle is very annoying.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I had a 27" max screen replaced twice with light bleed and pink tinge, lucky I had apple care, would never buy a iMac without it as it covers coming to your house to repair. closest Apple Store is 6 hour drive for me.

Reactions: picpicmac

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I had a 27" max screen replaced twice with light bleed and pink tinge, lucky I had apple care, would never buy a iMac without it as it covers coming to your house to repair. closest Apple Store is 6 hour drive for me.
I usually don't buy AppleCare for computers but I think I'm starting to change that policy as I did get it for this M3 iMac. :)

Wow... 6 hours? Yea, I wouldn't drive that either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.