Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirilld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to say that my app has been approved, is selling, and is giving me much faith in the app store!

I was nervous that as a beginning iPhone developer with no previous Apple interaction, my app would be put at the end of a very long list. However, things turned out great.

So, I'll be releasing many more apps in the future, and hope you guys will all enjoy them.

To everyone that has yet to be approved: Have faith!

Thanks!

P.S. Link to the app is in my signature

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
It looks neat enough, but I wonder how useful it will be to be honest. If you know your MPG you most likely have a readout in the car, simply knowing what the car magazine review quotes or what the manufacturer reckons you should get per gallon won't be any use to the average person on the average journey, so many factors have an effect on your economy. A quiet ride along a country road with just you in the car is going to give you very different MPG to thrashing up the motorway fully loaded with people and baggage, which will give you a different MPG to driving through the mountains in heavy snow...

If a car tells you your MPG it will most likely tell you how many miles you can go on the fuel in the tank as it is after all a very simple calculation. The mechanical fuel gauge on a car is a very poor indicator as half full rarely means half full. Sure its better than nothing, but if you only have a mechanical fuel gauge and no MPG reading I would say you won't be able to do the calculation anyway.

Your app isn't expensive, but personally I don't think its worth paying for as it stands as I for one would have no need for it, my car tells me how far I can go on the fuel I have and is very accurate and updates constantly depending on my driving, so many cars now do the same.

Maybe make the app free to avoid criticism and establish your reputation, if you are in it for the money I'm not sure you will make much and might just come under attack for simply making a calculator which is next to useless in most circumstances.

bwaadass

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
UK
... in other news... well done for launching an app! How well is it selling!?

Best of luck with future ideas and applications!

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
... in other news... well done for launching an app! How well is it selling!?

Best of luck with future ideas and applications!

That implies my points are irrelevant, maybe the developer just wanted a pat on the back but not sure why people are not welcome to give constructive criticism. I was neither rude or nasty, its hardly a glowing review but it is honest, if they want to make it big and develop apps people talk about surely its better that they get it right than churn out apps that nobody wants or needs?

kirilld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Well, though I appreciate your honest detailed reply, I must point one major thing before answering your concerns:

Sales are great!

To respond:

...A quiet ride along a country road with just you in the car is going to give you very different MPG to thrashing up the motorway fully loaded with people and baggage...
I completely agree, but I would say most people know their avg, highway, and city fuel economy due to high gas prices. Even if they don't, it's a very simple calculation you can do using your trip meter. On that note, how often do you switch between country road driving and motorway thrashing?

...if you only have a mechanical fuel gauge and no MPG reading I would say you won't be able to do the calculation anyway.
Sure you can. Again, I believe most people know their MPG, and a fuel gauge is accurate enough to allow a ballpark figure to be calculated for distance.

I'm not sure you will make much and might just come under attack for simply making a calculator which is next to useless in most circumstances.
As I said, sales are great, and the app is mostly aimed at people who don't have a distance meter. If you have such a calculator, and don't feel compelled by any of the other reasons I have listed on the app page, there's no need to buy it. Would I buy a motorcycle helmet if I didn't ride? Of course not, but plenty of other people do ride and have them.

Thanks again for your comment!

bwaadass

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
UK
That implies my points are irrelevant, maybe the developer just wanted a pat on the back but not sure why people are not welcome to give constructive criticism. I was neither rude or nasty, its hardly a glowing review but it is honest, if they want to make it big and develop apps people talk about surely its better that they get it right than churn out apps that nobody wants or needs?

You are correct and your points are relevant... my car also does this calculation automatically. I just thought I'd give the guy a pat on the back after your 'honest' review, I'm feeling generous today I guess!

CMoebius

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Congratulations!

I, too, am working on an application that I hope to have on the App Store someday. I have been a developer for over 15 years, but this is my first time coding for an Apple platform.

From one developer to another, I would like to give you a couple of constructive criticisms on both of your applications:

1. The user interfaces are pretty plain. Have you read the Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) that Apple published? You might pick up some ideas for how to make your applications a little more visually appealing. And by visually appealing, I don't mean a photograph in the background that you are using to try to make the application look professional. In the HIG, you will learn about the different kind of applications and the UIs that Apple suggests for each kind.

2. Your prices are out of whack. I agree that $0.99 is not a lot to pay for an application, but I could write the applications you posted in not a lot of time with more appealing user interfaces and not charge anything for them. If this is truly a way to get your foot in the door, don't charge people for your starter applications. Your applications remind me of what I would see in programming books to teach people how to code, not commercial applications for sale.

I hope that my criticisms are not too harsh. I didn't mean them to personally attack you in any way. Part of the process is learning what people want out of their applications and providing it for them. That is no small feat and it is something I hope to do with the application I am working on. That is why I am using the application I wrote on a daily basis. There is no better way to find out what customers want than to be one yourself.

Best of luck!

Chris

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Well, though I appreciate your honest detailed reply, I must point one major thing before answering your concerns:

Sales are great!

Thats good to hear, good for you :)

I completely agree, but I would say most people know their avg, highway, and city fuel economy due to high gas prices. Even if they don't, it's a very simple calculation you can do using your trip meter. On that note, how often do you switch between country road driving and motorway thrashing?

Maybe its an American thing, but in the UK I bet the vast majority of people have no idea of their cars potential MPG let alone what they are actually achieving. It is simple enough to fill up, empty the tank and then work out the MPG based on the amount of miles you went and the sizer of the fuel tank, but not many would do that. Maybe you could build in a reverse calculation to work out how many miles per gallon they should get, it could store the tank capacity in its database so they just have to enter the amount of miles they went once the tank is nearly empty. Just a suggestion.

As for how often I switch between motorways and country roads, pretty much daily, as I live 5 miles from a major motorway and 3 miles from the country, places I go to are either one way or the other. In a major city this isn't the case, but we don't all live in major cities.

Sure you can. Again, I believe most people know their MPG, and a fuel gauge is accurate enough to allow a ballpark figure to be calculated for distance.

Your belief may well be right, and as your sales are fantastic you probably are, if you are getting seriously rich from your application then you have done a great thing. I personally have never owned a car that had a fuel gauge that showed a true indication of my remaining fuel, all have however had fuel computers which have helped. Usually half full is a lot more or a lot less than half, quarter full is not accurate either. In fact my first car which cost me £70 probably had a more accurate fuel gauge than my current £35,000 car!

As I said, sales are great, and the app is mostly aimed at people who don't have a distance meter. If you have such a calculator, and don't feel compelled by any of the other reasons I have listed on the app page, there's no need to buy it. Would I buy a motorcycle helmet if I didn't ride? Of course not, but plenty of other people do ride and have them.

Oh I know there is no need to buy it, was just trying to offer some advice. Sadly too many developers feel they can churn out rubbish and make a few quid out of it, you have something that people want but do keep in mind that you can make it better and more useful. And it never hurts to have a crash helmet spare - you never know when you might need it! ;)

Thanks again for your comment!

No problem :)

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
congrats on the new app! it's a good idea and will serve the needs of some. keep those apps coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.