Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Well, I received and installed Panther on my Tibook this afternoon and I must say...I am very pleased. I haven't had a chance to check everything out but I am very pleased that I can now connect to my printer which is connected to my PC.

You see the printer is a HP OfficeJet k60, and HP never bothered to make a driver for MacOS, so I couldn't even print to it via USB let alone when it was connected to my PC. But now, I just went to the Print Center, selected Windows Printer, and then my Network and there it is. Now I don't have to FTP my work to my PC to print it out!! YIPPIE!!

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I ordered from the Apple Online Store. My order shipped yesterday go here around 4 this afternoon, standard overnight. I ordered on 10/15.

As far as UI speed increases, everything seems faster across the board. I got my hands on an early build of Panther a week ago, but compared to the real thing this is just BUTTER it is so smooth. Expose is wonderfully smooth and nice, after using it a few hours I can't imagine how I lived without it. All iApps seem to load faster and are more responsive over all. I am discovering new features galore, I just encrypted my system with file vault and am playing with the FTP abilities to connect to my university's FTP server with out a third party app FINALLY!!

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
wow! i did'nt even know about the FTP - schweet.

i am VERY impressed with Panther as well. i have had it since about 11AM today (thursday) and some things i have noticed:

-the overal GUI look is more subtle looking overall, i like it a LOT better.

-new finder is better, i like the pane on the left

-expose is the 'killer' app of Quartz extreme - its INSTANT - no lag - on my 1Ghz TiBook and it works beautifully

-everything is a lot snappyer - i hesitate to say "faster" untill i really sit and spend a week with it (but yah, i think its faster too)

-font book rocks.

-threaded mail = yummy

-SMB browing works more seamlessly. yummy.

-resizeing windows is a pleasure now

-seems very stable

-very few bugs so far::
--++Synergy (iTunes remote controller) seems to not want to work as well as it did under 10.2.8 - takes while for the floating window to appear, etc.. i assume an update will fix this
--++Toast needs to be updated to 5.2.x (i was running 5.1 and it would not do anything but bounce once and quit)
--++on wake from sleep while attached via cat5 to my home network it promted me to reconnect or disconnect from my SMB network - not really a bug, but kinda annoying

-fast user switching is super fast and super slick also

-my battery life is even better than under 10.2.8 (4+ hours on a full charge now, was 3+ on 10.2.8)

overall i am DAMN impressed, the install went great - less than 45 mins doing an archive + install and not installing extra languages.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
oh yeah, and Office X is hella faster. Scrolling in Word with inserted picture objects is remarkably faster, used to lag some before.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
One other note....a nice touch I think. Say bye bye to the rectangle effect, its gone. When double clicking a file, say a Word document, the icon sort of balloons up and fades at the same time. Its quite soothing compared to the jerkiness of the rectangle effect.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Very Impressed so far

Originally posted by TheWitePony
You see the printer is a HP OfficeJet k60, and HP never bothered to make a driver for MacOS, so I couldn't even print to it via USB let alone when it was connected to my PC.

glad to see you can print from the network, but you should also be aware that panther comes with an optional gimp-print package which integrates into the print utility. this has drivers for pretty much everything OS X doesn't. It also enables the more advanced features of a lot of the more expensive printers with halfassed OS X drivers.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I tried installing and using the gimp-print that came with my copy of Jaguar, no dice. They must have done something different in this release. In any event I am truly please with the outcome!

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
I am discovering new features galore, I just encrypted my system with file vault and am playing with the FTP abilities to connect to my university's FTP server with out a third party app FINALLY!!
The one downside that I've seen with File Vault (which I enabled, and then disabled because of this) is that Retrospect will no longer work. It sees my user folder as a volume, and wants to back up the whole damn thing. Zoinks!

So I un-encrpyted my user folder, and things work. Even, oh happy day, using labels to set files as "cool" and thus exclude them. Suddenly, Retrospect Express is perfect again. Even if those blankey-blanks at Dantz discontinued it.

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Originally posted by shecky
-my battery life is even better than under 10.2.8 (4+ hours on a full charge now, was 3+ on 10.2.8)
Same thing here. I thought I might have been imagining, but it seems thus far a marked improvement.

And the speed is quite noticeable, even on my tired 700mhz iBook. Expose is smooth as silk, baby.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Can't wait!

O my Lord I can't wait.

Joygasm!
Lol, so Expose is fast and slick even on a 700Mhz G3????? Wow, they really must have a great graphics engine with Quartz. :D :D :D :D :D

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Originally posted by shecky
very few bugs so far::
--++Synergy (iTunes remote controller) seems to not want to work as well as it did under 10.2.8 - takes while for the floating window to appear, etc.. i assume an update will fix this

synergy has an alpha version that addresses panther compatibility.

versiontracker

orl2222

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
so cal
Just installed my copy, arrived 11:00 am Pacific time. My Emac feels like a new machine! Faster, more responsive. Apps all open quicker. I did a "upgrade install" no problems whats so ever, with the exception of safari enhancer. I will have to wait for the upgrade on this for 10.3

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've noticed a few problems with 10.3 on my computer:

Everything seems lagged from opening applications to logging in to scrolling.

I cannot restart, I have to force a restart myself.

Transparent Dock doesn't work!

Expose with a PowerBook is difficult since the F9 and F10 are taken by the keyboard lighting controls and the alternative buttons aren't very desirable.

Many installers freeze for a period of a few minutes with nearing the end.

I have had to force quit Finder many times and I've never done that with Jag.

My display seems washed out and doesn't have as "deep" of colors.

Overall, everything seems slower.

I did a clean install so I figured it'd be fast and stable but perhaps I did something wrong?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've noticed some weird quirks as well. At first, as I moved my cursor over items in menus, they would not hightlight blue like they usually do. A restart took care of that, but on the second time I restarted after installing the system, it hung. Its working decently now, and things seem noticeably faster than Jaguar. Hopefully things will smooth out as I get settled into my new system.

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Ummm, maybe that's because Transparent Dock is a hack... would you expect your hacks to work?
Hmmm, try looking at your permissions. Some of mine were screwey in the /Library directory after a fresh install. Fixed them and now I'm all smiles.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
HUGE speed improvement on an iMac 400DV. Finder is MUCH more responsive, finally is feeling like it did in OS9 again. If it did this much to an almost 4 year old G3 based iMac, I wonder how much it is going to improve with the G4's and G5's. I might be seeing things, but this has made my old iMac feel a lot more responsive.

When you send mail with the new Mail program you can hear it "fly" away in stereo sound...it's neat!

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
HUGE speed improvement on an iMac 400DV. Finder is MUCH more responsive, finally is feeling like it did in OS9 again. If it did this much to an almost 4 year old G3 based iMac, I wonder how much it is going to improve with the G4's and G5's. I might be seeing things, but this has made my old iMac feel a lot more responsive.
Whoa, dude. I thought Booky and Macky were relics of an ignored sig... they still exist?! ;)

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've noticed a few problems with 10.3 on my computer:

Everything seems lagged from opening applications to logging in to scrolling.

I cannot restart, I have to force a restart myself.

Expose with a PowerBook is difficult since the F9 and F10 are taken by the keyboard lighting controls and the alternative buttons aren't very desirable.

I have had to force quit Finder many times and I've never done that with Jag.

My display seems washed out and doesn't have as "deep" of colors.

Overall, everything seems slower.

I did a clean install so I figured it'd be fast and stable but perhaps I did something wrong?

Yeah I'm sorry man, but that Vicki voice is sooo sexy... :p

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
One other note....a nice touch I think. Say bye bye to the rectangle effect, its gone. When double clicking a file, say a Word document, the icon sort of balloons up and fades at the same time. Its quite soothing compared to the jerkiness of the rectangle effect.

I don't get the rectangle effect. I also don't get the balloons up and fades effect. Applications just open. I have no hacks installed. Will try permissions one more time.

Glial

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Haughton, LA
oh yeah, and Office X is hella faster. Scrolling in Word with inserted picture objects is remarkably faster, used to lag some before.

No Kidding and lauch time for office X apps are super fast. Great improvement.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I agree with everyone- it's ridiculous how fast Panter is. It's running super fast on my MDD PM, breathed new life into my 550 TiBook and runs much faster on my 800 iBook.

the metal Finder is gonna take some time to get used to, but I'll live.

Thank God I don't have to use Jaguar anymore :)

edit: Macromedia Contribute doesn't seem to work...:confused:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by LuckyJack
Ummm, maybe that's because Transparent Dock is a hack... would you expect your hacks to work?
Try Unsanity.com. Get their new APE manager and clear dock. It's a hack but it works in Panther.

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say how much I love Panther. I can't say much about speed yet because I haven't given it much of a workout but I'm a big fan of the sidebar and iDisk integration. Expose is cool and convenient but I keep accidently triggering it.

Is their a way to get the "folder thing" from the left to the right in Mail? I got used to it on the right in Jaguar and it's bugging me a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.