Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Recently I've been experiencing some very slow startups. I'm talking like 8 minutes and I had to force shut the thing down because for some reason it doesn't respond to me doing the usual restart or shutdown process. I've been having a lot of these little problems lately such as kernel panics. I would like to know if there is a real reason why my macbook pro is doing this. Thanks

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
1. Have you installed new RAM or Hard Drives lately?

2. Have you tried running Disk Utility?

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
I repaired but I have to goto school now Ill reset PRAM when I get back hope it works. Thanks

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
That SHOULD work. If it doesn't, try removing and putting back the battery.

Just try everything sensible. :)

Update us on your situation.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Funny I saw this thread....my MBP has been starting ridiculously slow lately as well

Not 8 minutes slow but 2-3 minutes.

Never used to be like that.

I have not added any RAM, I have checked the Disk Utility and repaired permission, etc...

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Check the obvious stuff as stated. I started experiencing slow boot times, but nothing over about 2 minutes. I also have my free space down to under 5GB free, so that explains a lot. It should not take that long. I'm in the market for an external now, and I'm trying to find a good 1TB drive for a decent price. Any suggestions?

jcipin

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
MacBook slowing down? Try Safe Boot

I just posted this to another thread but I think it bears repeating here:

I've had a MacBook for about 13 months. A few months ago (can't remember exactly when) it seemed to be running slower than it used to. I use it to run only really standard stuff: Microsoft Office, Mail, Safari, etc. No Photoshop or After Effects and the like. I was pretty sure that the slowdown was caused by upgrading to 10.4.9 or 10.4.10. I tried alot of recommended "fixes." Onyx, Cocktail, Disk Warrior, resetting PRAM and more. All of which are useful, don't get me wrong, but they didn't deal with the slowdown issue. I did one more Google search this morning under "macbook running slow". I came across a post on Macenstein that I hadn't seen before. The recommendation: SAFE BOOT! Doh! Forgot about that one. Start up your Mac while holding down the Shift key. Believe it or not, that seems to have done the trick. It's probably one of those things that should be tried for any system-wide sort of ailment.

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
Something like cocktail: http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.php or
tiger cache cleaner: http://www.northernsoftworks.com/tigercachecleaner.html
can often resolve these issues.
Start with a light cache clean and move up until it resolves your boot time.
Also, (sounds obvious) but check what the boot pane says it's loading i.e. 'starting apache' etc. and see which is taking longest to load, you can then hopefully narrow down which of your startup items is slowing everything down.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.