Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrsaxomaphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Sydney Australia
Hi all, I’m a music composer and am about to purchase some new monitors. If I purchase an apple studio display with the vesa option, am I able to alternate between portrait and landscape and it automatically changes the display setting? I’ll be using it on a m3 MBP. (I’d actually be buying two to replace my old Thunderbolt displays)

If it doesn’t, is anyone able to recommend a monitor that does?

As I’m only really looking at music notation and logic, I’m not too fussed on colour accuracy or lag etc.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Supposedly, but there is a hoop to jump through. See 5:47 in this video:

His other video specifically for VESA iMac:

Not totally sure I understand what he's talking about.

What I know is this - mine rotates w/o having to do anything (other than physically turning the display of course).

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Thanks, picpicmac, for the pointer to the reviews. Both were interesting and worthwhile seeing. The details of the menu selections went past too quickly to really understand what he was saying, especially without a display here to try it on. But I've filed both reviews away as a M3 iMac with VESA is definitely a possible option for me here.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.