Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
So I bought the VGA dongle for the iPad to test it on my TV and here's what happened after a few seconds:

photogzj.jpg

Is that serious? I can't play my videos? Sad...

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
So I bought the VGA dongle for the iPad to test it on my TV and here's what happened after a few seconds:

photogzj.jpg

Is that serious? I can't play my videos? Sad...

This is because the contect is copy protected, and since your not using HDMI, it will prevent you from playing it. Obviously Apple have HDCP protection in the video. VGA has no HDCP decoding, hence the message. Now recorded videos on the ipad from an other device is a different story, but purchased content is different.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
This is because the contect is copy protected, and since your not using HDMI, it will prevent you from playing it. Obviously Apple have HDCP protection in the video. VGA has no HDCP decoding, hence the message. Now recorded videos on the ipad from an other device is a different story, but purchased content is different.

Wow, is this ever a case to find your content elsewhere. Its really unfortunate and likely a "bag of hurt" that you purchase the content for viewing and have it licensed to play off the iPad but can't use the hardware supported VGA out. Amazingly, wow. If there was ever a consumer case for non-DRM I'd say this is it.

Watch for more DRM on your content in the near future, and support the open non-drm formats when possible.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Return the VGA connector, and buy the apple dock connector cables. They will play the protected content.

Then go leave feedback on the crappy description.

But blame hollywood for the DRM issues.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Wow, is this ever a case to find your content elsewhere. Its really unfortunate and likely a "bag of hurt" that you purchase the content for viewing and have it licensed to play off the iPad but can't use the hardware supported VGA out. Amazingly, wow. If there was ever a consumer case for non-DRM I'd say this is it.

Watch for more DRM on your content in the near future, and support the open non-drm formats when possible.

The VGA out cable is not designed for protected content, only items like photos, iPhone recorded videos etc. All iTunes movies are DRM laced, but the music isnt.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Return the VGA connector, and buy the apple dock connector cables. They will play the protected content.

Then go leave feedback on the crappy description.

But blame hollywood for the DRM issues.

what were you refering to when you said apple dock connector cables? they still arnt going to play video off of an external source unless im missing something.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
what were you refering to when you said apple dock connector cables? they still arnt going to play video off of an external source unless im missing something.

The dock seems to add more functionality, but subject to the following additional purchases as stated below from Apple's US Site

"Connect the dock to a TV or video projector using a compatible cable such as the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter or the Apple Component or Composite AV Cable.*

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
The dock seems to add more functionality, but subject to the following additional purchases as stated below from Apple's US Site

"Connect the dock to a TV or video projector using a compatible cable such as the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter or the Apple Component or Composite AV Cable.*

when the OP said vga connector, I presume he is talking about the Apple 30 pin connector to VGA adapter, which is the same thing as the dock connector you mention unless Im getting it wrong, the problem of DRM content would still exist.

are you saying that using the actualy Dock and connecting the cable to the dock adds functionality?

brewno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
when the OP said vga connector, I presume he is talking about the Apple 30 pin connector to VGA adapter, which is the same thing as the dock connector you mention unless Im getting it wrong, the problem of DRM content would still exist.

are you saying that using the actualy Dock and connecting the cable to the dock adds functionality?

This is what I'm using....

ipad-dock-connector-vga.jpeg

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
when the OP said vga connector, I presume he is talking about the Apple 30 pin connector to VGA adapter, which is the same thing as the dock connector you mention unless Im getting it wrong, the problem of DRM content would still exist. are you saying that using the actualy Dock and connecting the cable to the dock adds functionality?

The VGA cable cannot handle any video content with HDCP copy protection from the iTunes store. Its only designed for videos / photos the user has created. According to Apple you can obtain a Component / HD cable but I dont see these listed on their store.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Welcome to the world of HDCP. It sucks, but as it's not an Apple problem there won't be an Apple solution. Like others said, go with component or composite cables.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Do remember that videos you rip yourselves from your own DVD collection (say, with Handbrake or such) will play just fine over the VGA cable.

While the iTunes video store is handy, and I own several from there myself, there is something to be said for 'creating' your own DRM-free videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.