Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
I have lots of old VHS movies that I now want to digitize. First I need to buy a VHS player, but then? What software do I need for my macbook pro which is from 2012 and doesn't get updates anymore?

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Not sure why anyone would want movies which look like they were filmed with a potato camera, unless they are home movies.

1. Get a combo VHS DVD player.
2. Transfer VHS to DVD.
3. Rip DVD using your favorite app. Handbrake is popular.

Last edited:

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
How everything is so easy for you. To do as you say, the DVD player must have a recorder function and they are very expensive because many people know what that kind of device is used for. Sometimes the handbrake is broken, in your case for example.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I ran into this video a few years ago and is what I plan on trying whenever I get around to it. Basically just use a good VCR, AV-to-HDMI converter, and a game capture card that captures to a thumb drive. Supposedly it has better quality than the other methods out there.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
If your MacBook Pro's from 2012, another option you can go with is an older FireWire video converter of some sort, such as the Canopus ADVC-55 or Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge. Then you can connect a VCR to it via Composite or S-video and hook the converter to your MacBook Pro with a FireWire 6-to-9 -pin cable (if your MacBook Pro is a Retina model, you'll also need a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter) and capture the footage using the QuickTime Player, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Handbrake, or any other software that supports DV capture streams.
Alternatively, certain Canon and Sony DV camcorder models also support analog-to-digital passthrough, allowing it to act as a FireWire DV converter.

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
If your MacBook Pro's from 2012, another option you can go with is an older FireWire video converter of some sort, such as the Canopus ADVC-55 or Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge. Then you can connect a VCR to it via Composite or S-video and hook the converter to your MacBook Pro with a FireWire 6-to-9 -pin cable (if your MacBook Pro is a Retina model, you'll also need a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter) and capture the footage using the QuickTime Player, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Handbrake, or any other software that supports DV capture streams.
Alternatively, certain Canon and Sony DV camcorder models also support analog-to-digital passthrough, allowing it to act as a FireWire DV converter.
I just realized I also have a 2016 Macbook Air if it's better?

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
I ran into this video a few years ago and is what I plan on trying whenever I get around to it. Basically just use a good VCR, AV-to-HDMI converter, and a game capture card that captures to a thumb drive. Supposedly it has better quality than the other methods out there.

Which is a good VCR?

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
I think I have found a VHS DVD recorder. I asked the owner if it is a recorder but he doesn't know anything and from what I can see what is written on the DVD player it says: DVD/RW-R Recorder. But the problem is that it lacks a remote control.

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
That will also work, but it depends on the specs (i.e. processor speed and max Turbo Boost speed, amount of RAM). Plus, you'll definitely need a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter for it.
I'll watch it later but first I need to find a video

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I have used Elgato Video Capture many times with success in the past. Plug in the analog A/V cables from a VCR and click record in the Elgato software and that’s all there is to it.

Not sure if the included software works with modern Macs as it has been a few years since I used mine. But it sounds like you have an older Mac that might work.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I have used Elgato Video Capture many times with success in the past. Plug in the analog A/V cables from a VCR and click record in the Elgato software and that’s all there is to it.

Not sure if the included software works with modern Macs as it has been a few years since I used mine. But it sounds like you have an older Mac that might work.
Another vote for this. we did all of ours with this and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.