Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hippocrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I am wondering if there's a way to disable vibration alerts when I'm in an active iMessage/Whatsapp conversation? I would love to have a vibration notification upon receiving a new message if the phone is locked or if the conversation is not in the foreground. However, it doesn't make sense to have the phone vibrating all the time when the eyes are already fixated on a screen in middle of a conversation (on silent mode).

Btw, I have set "Vibration on Ring" as OFF and "Vibration on Silent" as ON. Turning off vibration on silent will disable all alerts, which is not exactly what I want.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe in iMessage they reduced that in-app vibration so it's not as long or powerful as it would normally be. Don't think threre's anything else you can do on your end to reduce or change those. For WhatsApp and other third party apps you would like want to look through its settings for in-app sounds or vibration and disable those.

Hippocrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for the information! Guess I just have to get used to the vibration. It seems to be stronger than that on my previous iPhone 5, which is barely noticeable. Hopefully it doesn't consume too much battery too.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I like to bump this up and see if there is a solution? It is extremely annoying when I'm in a meeting, and a colleague message me and the phone continue to vibrate despite the fact that I'm already in a active conversation. Why would the phone continue to vibrate if I'm looking at the iMessage app already (in the foreground). I understand that you could vibrate if it's in the background, but when the iMessage app is in the foreground, I really don't need additional notification.

I know that I can disable vibrate when in silent. But I don't want that, or at least I don't want to do that every single time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I like to bump this up and see if there is a solution? It is extremely annoying when I'm in a meeting, and a colleague message me and the phone continue to vibrate despite the fact that I'm already in a active conversation. Why would the phone continue to vibrate if I'm looking at the iMessage app already (in the foreground). I understand that you could vibrate if it's in the background, but when the iMessage app is in the foreground, I really don't need additional notification.

I know that I can disable vibrate when in silent. But I don't want that, or at least I don't want to do that every single time.
No real solutions, aside from some workarounds like disabling vibrate when silent or temporarily enabling DND and then disabling it (which is what I sometimes end up doing for this kind of thing).

Last edited:

Hippocrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
There's no solution for iMessage, you can disable the in-app vibration for whatsapp though. As what C DM mentioned, the in-app vibration for iMessage is automatically reduced in intensity. I can still live with it if it doesn't noticeably reduce the battery life

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
There's no solution for iMessage, you can disable the in-app vibration for whatsapp though. As what C DM mentioned, the in-app vibration for iMessage is automatically reduced in intensity. I can still live with it if it doesn't noticeably reduce the battery life

I see, thanks. I don't care so much about the battery life so much as the sound it generates. It's "vibrate" but you know everybody can hear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.