Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all,
I'm stuck on a problem I have with macOS Mojave.

If I install 10.14 all is ok. Whenever I install 10.14.1 or 10.14.2 after restart I have video artifacts on the right side of the monitor scrolling wifi menu, or volume, data etc etc.

They are similar to horizontal scan lines but starting from the menu to the right side of the monitor. I can't film those lines because as soon as I start monitor registration with Mojave integrated function they don't appear.

They are also not present inside virtual machine.

Maybe if interest I can try to film the monitor with my iphone.

Any help, hints or suggestion? I can't get rid of the problem. I have already changed my miniDP to DP cable.

I have no problem at all in High Sierra nor in 10.14. I only have problem after installing Mojave .1 or .2.

My machine is a nMP 12-core, 32gb of ram and dual D700 card and my monitor is an LG 32UD60-B.

Thanks a lot.

Claudio.

photomek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Germany, Paderborn
Hi,

I have exactly the same issues since upgrading to 10.14.1 or 10.14.2. I think it's since 10.14.2, but I am not sure about this. My machine is a nMP 4-core, 16gb of ram and dual D500 card and my monitor is a NEC EA244UHD (4k).

First I thought I am running into a hardware problem but after finding and reading your post I am a little relaxed. :)

So it's likely to be a software problem, that is going to be fixed in near time. I will keep you updated if something changes.
[doublepost=1544733020][/doublepost]I've reported the problem to Apple now.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Wow thank you very much for answering Thomas.

So it’s a software problem and I don’t need to change my monitor for another one. I’m relaxed too after your answer. I will patiently wait a solution in 10.14.3 now.

Please keep me update so we can check together those annoying problem.

All the best,
Claudio.

Last edited:

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all

Does anyone tryed the new 10.14.3? Is the problem still present?

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Thanks a lot for your feedback Thomas. Really annoying.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
The problem you describe is not present on my Mac mini (2018) using one of the Thunderbolt ports to connect my 2008 Apple Cinema Display and using macOS 10.14.3. And I have not seen it on earlier Mojave versions.

I am preparing to install 10.14.4 since it says "Fixes a graphics compatibility issue that may occur on some external displays connected to a Mac mini (2018)" on Software Update. My display occasionally has remained asleep until I unplug and replug the connector in the Thunderbolt port. The first couple times I thought the mini was not waking and did a hard power off and then a restart.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Tried 10.14.4 on my Late 2013 macpro and the problem still persist... Don't hope that they will solve the problem.

DarkHorseDynamo

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
All, I am experiencing the exact same issue! I am SOO glad I found others having the same problem (so I know this isn't a cost prohibitive hardware fix. I have a late 2013 Mac Pro fully loaded running an Eizo CG318 over DisplayPort. This machine has the dual AMD FirePro D700's. I've also updated to 10.14.4 and the issue still persists. I know it happened on 10.14.3 as well but unfortunately I cannot say with certainty if I noticed it with earlier releases. This is such a stupid problem!! The level of artifacting I see is extremely varied depending on the software that is running. There were a couple of CAD/3D design programs I ran that made the entire screen totally unusable but mostly it's light artifacting on the right to right-upper side of my screen. When I get some time I'll try to do some testing and see what software causes the worst of it and see if it could be due to certain display acceleration technology like OpenGL or something else.

DarkHorseDynamo

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
So I *think* I just solved it... but I'd like someone else to try this. I just reinstalled SwitchResX to try a couple custom display settings (unrelated to this issue) and in order to input custom resolutions and use all the functionality of it I had to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) so it could properly add my custom settings. After I logged out, booted into recovery mode, opened a terminal and switched off SIP with "csrutil disable" and rebooted, my display is completely artifact free. I mean not one glitch. I loaded a number of programs that caused excessive artifacting and nothing!!! This is crazy to me and I need someone else to try it and let us know what their experience is. I'm hoping I'm not being premature on this but so far so good and I'll certainly report back if I see more artifacts.

On a completely separate issue, this has also fixed another problem I was having with CleanMyMac not being able to clean everything it's supposed to (good software by the way). I'm curious if SIP is causing more problems than helping with these latest MacOS versions? I know it's important to have it enabled but if you aren't careless loading shady software, being safe on the web and most importantly DO YOUR BACKUPS, I think I might leave it disabled for awhile and see what I see.

That is all for now!
[doublepost=1554492531][/doublepost]**** Update ****
Plot thickens: I wasn't getting any artifacting after what I did below... then my system went into screensaver and when I got out of the screensaver, I started seeing the artifacts again. I'm going to attempt to reboot - see if that fixes the glitches, let it go to screensaver again, and see if that induces the artifacting.
[doublepost=1554493061][/doublepost]**** Another Update ****
FAIL. Another reboot and we are right back to where we started. Clearly there is some driver issue happening here. I know Apple stated they are moving entirely to Metal and ditching OpenGL in the next release. What troubles me is they don't list the video cards in our Mac Pro's as Metal compatible. I'm wondering if some of this glitching is part of the transition process in these later releases?

Sorry this ended up being a dead end. :\

Last edited:

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
I’ve had a flickering issue with my display since I swapped from an Apple Cinema Display to a 4K Dell subsequently I’ve had 5 monitors, countless software updates, clean installs.

Try putting the resolution of the display to default not scaled. See if that fixes the issue.

It’s not a fix, but may stop the glitch

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
In my case the glitch is stopped if I use the monitor via HDMI. Unfortunately in 4K resolution the refresh rate drop to 30Hz and it's not usable for me.

So I'm on HS and at the moment I will not swtich to Mojave. Maybe Catalina.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Upgraded from Mojave to Catalina same exact problem. The strange 'glitch' lines on the right of the monitor connected via thunderbolt in 4K.
Changed my monitor with a small 24" HDMI one in 1080p and no problem at all.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Using SwitchResX if I set the <desired resolution>@60Hz using the HiDpi setting I have the glitch. If I don't use the HiDpi setting and only <desired resolution>@60Hz I don't have.

But, the font are not as crisp as in HiDpi.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Found that if I use airplay and duplicate my monitor over AppleTV, I have no problem at all about glitch on the right side of the monitor.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Ok for those interested. After months of trial and error I have found a solution that work for me: I have both display port and HDMI cable connected. So the system show two monitor connected but I use only the display port output. No more glitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.