Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I am having a nightmare with uploading videos to Facebook whereby the audio becomes off-sync by a split second.
These are music performances where even the smallest of delay is quite noticeable.

I have tried just about everything I can think of.
720p, 1080p, various encoding qualities, Variable framerate, constant framerate...
nothing makes any significant difference.

Now, the curious thing is that the browser used to play the video seems to make a difference, with the best being Safari on the iPad (almost perfect alignment) and the worse being Safari on a Mac (considerable delay between video and audio), with other Mac browsers (Firefox and Chrome) sitting somewhere in the middle.

Has anybody else encountered the same problem, and more importantly does anybody have any suggestion beyond not using Facebook (not an option)?

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I am struggling to find someone to help with this problem.
Is anybody in this forum aware of other Digital Video forums that would be a better fit for this question?
Thanks.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
No suggestions, just to note that FaceBook has a tendency to mangle video. I usually upload the .mov version (for apple devices) and have not noticed anomalies, but then I wasn't looking for split second alignment.

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
No suggestions, just to not that FaceBook has a tendency to mangle video. I usually upload the .mov version (for apple devices) and have not noticed anomalies, but then I wasn't looking for split second alignment.
I might as well try my luck and save as .mov before upload.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Here are Facebook’s guidelines for uploading video: https://m.facebook.com/help/1041366099316573

Note the parts about no frame rates over 30fps and audio sampling at 44.1khz. If you are outside those guidelines, Facebook is going to resample and reencode your video. As someone else said, they won’t be gentle about it either. Their encoders are undoubtedly set to prioritize speed to reduce costs without regard to quality.

Most editing software and cameras default to an audio sample rate of 48khz, so that could be your problem.

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Here are Facebook’s guidelines for uploading video: https://m.facebook.com/help/1041366099316573

Note the parts about no frame rates over 30fps and audio sampling at 44.1khz. If you are outside those guidelines, Facebook is going to resample and reencode your video. As someone else said, they won’t be gentle about it either. Their encoders are undoubtedly set to prioritize speed to reduce costs without regard to quality.

Most editing software and cameras default to an audio sample rate of 48khz, so that could be your problem.
The camera is mostly my iPhone or iPad, however that matters little as the video gets edited with either iMovie or, more often, with LumaFusion, and saved with 30fps and 44.1khz which are the default settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.