Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
My wife just upgraded to an iPhone 14 Plus.
She uses it to record video clips of hikes that we take, as we then put those together into simple, short movies that we upload to Youtube.

We have noticed here on the last couple of hikes, that the video quality isn't all that great. One thing specifically is that with each step she takes while walking and filming, that things go a bit out of focus- as if the sensor shift vibration reduction is not working as well as it should.
I don't really notice this type of problem when I use my 13 Mini to take similar video clips.

We both have ours set to 1080p with 30 fps for video.... I am going to try changing my wife's 14 Plus to 60 fps and we'll see if things look any better.

But my question is- is this something you have noticed as well? Is going to 60fps the answer, or is this a sign of a potential issue with the phone?
I thought the sensor shift tech was so good that even pretty substantial movement is absorbed by that sensor shift- as noted, when I have taken clips with my 13 Mini as I am walking down a trail in the past, it seems it was buttery smooth while details stayed in focus.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Never ever, ever record in 30 if you want smooth video. You have to record in 60. Just try it and find out for yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.