Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Can anyone recommend an OK quality video capture card for my PM G5. My trusty old 6500/275 cannot reach the quality I would like to achieve anymore.

I have a small project (hobby) I would like to start soon, and it will involve many video clips I have on Hi8 or VHS. I would like to burn the end result onto DVD, but I would like to have good or slightly above average quality raw video if possible.

Is there a fair priced capture card I can use for my G5 that can do avg TV quality captures?

Thanks in advance!!

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Canopus DVC-50

I'm quite happy with my Canopus DVC-50 in my dual PM G4. It's a PCI card that takes input video and passes it through to your firewire port as DV encoded video, so it can be captured in iMovie and probably everything else.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I'm using one of the old Sony Media Converters with my iMac G4; a FireWire solution is definitely worth considering.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Thanks for the input.

Are there any advantages of going PCI over Firewire? I know the Bus speed is faster on PCI, but how fast does it need to be for Video?

Thanks again!

allroy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
Analog Video to DV...

I'd recommend going with an external firewire based analog to dv converter.

I've used the Formac and have no complaints.
Formac

However the Miglia looks nice and I've heard good things about them
Miglia

Another one I've heard really good things about is from Synchrotech, all the features of the 2 above but $100 cheaper!
Synchrotech

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
PCI versus Firewire and PCI plus Firewire

In the case of my DVC-50, the card draws its power from the PCI bus but nothing more. It uses a Firewire pass-thru cable which connects to your Mac's (or PC's) Firewire port. In this way, MacOS X treats it just like a DV camcorder and allows to capture directly to DV format in iMovie, Final Cut, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.