Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
I have this PC sitting here that I used for games when I got (was good for its time). It only has AGP 4x, not 8x... let alone PCI-E. I want to throw one last good video card in to make it last maybe another 6 months to a year, and I was looking at the AGP version of the Radeon 850XT PE. I know this is a pretty damn good card, but would I notice a huge difference say if I built another machine that had PCI-E? I guess im asking if there is a noticable difference between AGP 4x and PCI-X. Im not sure if video cards have reached the point yet where they can max out the bandwidth of AGP.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
well the 7800 is only PCI-E i believe, don't know the specs of it or how well it performs.

But yes there are cards built solely for PCI-E

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
it depends on the rest of your system, what are your specs? the only real reason i would go with pci-e over agp would be so i can future proof my computer as much as possible. but i dont believe you will notice a realwold diffrence between agp and pci-e.. other then benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.