Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handyman130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
What is the best software to video chat with a Mac? On my PC I used CamFrog, but it is not accessable on the OX platform.....I have iChat installed, but it doesn't seem to work....I click on it, and nothing happens...I'm pretty weak, so any information is good information to me.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
handyman130 said:
What is the best software to video chat with a Mac? On my PC I used CamFrog, but it is not accessable on the OX platform.....I have iChat installed, but it doesn't seem to work....I click on it, and nothing happens...I'm pretty weak, so any information is good information to me.
Um, you click on it and it doesn't seem to work. That isn't a very good explanation of the problem. There is also Yahoo messanger that you can put a cam that everyone can see you from, they don't need to have a cam for you to see them. So its a one way chat. But iChat, when you decide to get it working is the best video chat for the mac.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I agree with Varmit - we need a little more info. But you did have the video camera or iSight plugged in and turned on first, right? If you're using a video camera, which one are you using, and are you connecting it via firewire or USB?

iChat lets me know immediately that my Sony DV camera is on and active when I have the program open and plug in the camera via firewire.

Give us a description of your setup, and tell us exactly what you are clicking on at which point in the process - no doubt someone will be able to help.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You gave us no info. Do you even have an AOL account?

Maybe your webcam isn't compatible with OSX??

Try looking at http://www.ioxperts.com/products/webcamx.html and check to see if they have a driver for your webcam.

If you use AIM, iChat is the way to go.
If you use Yahoo Messenger, it's available for Mac. I think the problem is that audio isn't available if you wanted to use that and webcam chat.

Use aMSN (or Mercury, I guess) if you want to chat to friends who use MSN Messenger.

KC Dragonfly

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2005
Germany
Mac & PC finally chatting with VIDEO+AUDIO

Yippi YEAH !!!:)
I finally have figuered it out , thanks to my apple store here in Hamburg-Germany.

Just get iVisit
they also explain things very well!!

at http://www.ivisit.com Free download and off you go. They offer a "better" resolution for an anual fee, but even without it works great!!

I (dsl connection) talked to my brother, (who has a dial up connection) And still, even he could see and hear me!:eek:

Paaaaarty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.