Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have some old MP4 video's that have a problem with playback. I just switched to an Mac Studio moving out of the Windows world. The problem these files have is they play on some on my loaded players, Infuse, VLC, Quicktime but with only sound on my main player jRiver Media Center 30. This is not a new problem. This is the reason why I had several players loaded on the PC. I asked about this and was told that the best thing to do is covert them to AVI, MKV, etc. I have been looking at utilities the one in the Mac App store looks good but is limited in it only converts one file at a time. Any suggestions?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Those are two of the worst possible container formats that you could choose. They are both painfully outdated and—on the Mac—incompatible with more players than not. Go with either MOV or MP4.
Every container format has good and bad points. I loaded the "Video converter' located in the Mac App store. The files I converted were old MP4 files that had problems playing on Media Center 30. I converted them them to Matroska Video to repair whatever was wrong with them, it did. as for compatibility issues jRiver Media Center plays codex's even I have never heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.