Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm really liking Jelly Bean but one thought is this Siri has A LOT more users currently which could explain the slower processing. To be honest, sometimes Siri is dog slow and sometimes she is blazing fast, just depends on the current load. Android will have the same issue in time. I do like the voice though. They did a great job on it.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I just wish it understood my dictation better, but competition breeds better results, and hoping it will force apple to focus on the simple things such as improving voice dictation, accuracy, and expand its uses at the same time.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I'm really liking Jelly Bean but one thought is this Siri has A LOT more users currently which could explain the slower processing. To be honest, sometimes Siri is dog slow and sometimes she is blazing fast, just depends on the current load. Android will have the same issue in time. I do like the voice though. They did a great job on it.

I would disagree with that.
I feel the reason Google side is faster is Google just have much more direct access to the data and chances are a hell of a lot more data to pull from at the first level.

Now Apple on the other hand more than likely has to go threw more levels of processing and has to pull from more sources to get all the data and then bring it together. That just increases the amount of time.

On top of that if you noticed Google's system is putting in the text as you say it. That means time less time is loss processing the speak into a string so the different engines can process it.

It comes down to that Apple just has more steps to go threw and it adds up.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I would disagree with that.
I feel the reason Google side is faster is Google just have much more direct access to the data and chances are a hell of a lot more data to pull from at the first level.

Now Apple on the other hand more than likely has to go threw more levels of processing and has to pull from more sources to get all the data and then bring it together. That just increases the amount of time.

On top of that if you noticed Google's system is putting in the text as you say it. That means time less time is loss processing the speak into a string so the different engines can process it.

It comes down to that Apple just has more steps to go threw and it adds up.
Good points. I didn't notice Android inputting as it goes along. Surprised that local processing is that quick. Wonder if they're using Nuance tech or not (I don't know much about the innards of Android).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Good points. I didn't notice Android inputting as it goes along. Surprised that local processing is that quick. Wonder if they're using Nuance tech or not (I don't know much about the innards of Android).

It is not doing local processing of the voice. What it is doing is sending it up to Google the entire time and Google is translating it in real time. It was stuff shown off for ICS in Dec.
They are not using Nuance tech either. Google hired one of Nuance soft engineers to help work around all Nuance patents. From what I have read on it that it cost a lot of money to get around all of nuance patents which is why most companies chose to just licence the tech.

RossMacca

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Is Google Now all done on the device or does it access as server for it's responses?

I know they've made voice typing (dictation) available offline (and it seems very fast), but I'd guess most of the Now stuff relies on an internet connect for weather, travel, news, etc.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It is not doing local processing of the voice. What it is doing is sending it up to Google the entire time and Google is translating it in real time. It was stuff shown off for ICS in Dec.
They are not using Nuance tech either. Google hired one of Nuance soft engineers to help work around all Nuance patents. From what I have read on it that it cost a lot of money to get around all of nuance patents which is why most companies chose to just licence the tech.
Thanks Rodimus, as usual you're a wealth of information. :)

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
To be fair, this would be a real comparison;

http://youtu.be/kw-RzN4xYyE

I think Google just made some online flash cards for the keywards. Siri trys to understand what you are saying.

Siri got owned in every question and was much slower to respond. Yu aren't going to beat a company like Google with anything search related, they made their name off that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Slightly related...

Dictation on my iPad 3 sucks, especially when the sentences start getting long.

Whereas comparatively, dictation on my Galaxy Nexus is amazingly accurate -- seriously, each time I use it, I'm shocked that it gets everything correct. Long sentences aren't a problem because it types out what you're saying as you're saying it, word by word. With iOS, it waits until you hit the Mic key again before you see text written out, and if it happens to be a long sentence, forgetaboutit. Errors a plenty.

With dictation going offline in Jelly Bean, it's going to be great.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Ok, this thread is a couple of days old, but the new thread on it led me here and I have a question.

In this video, they ask "Who won the Angels game yesterday" and it brings up a box score. They ask "How tall is Kobe Bryant" and it brings up his player card from espn.com.

I ask these questions, and the only reply I ever get is "Would like like to search the web for...". Every single time. Doesn't matter which team I ask about, which player I ask about...it's always a web search.

My question is; why is this happening? Is there some hidden setting I need to turn on?

Edit: Just tried another approach: "Do the Indians play today?". Siri responded: "here's today", and started playing a song on my phone titled "today". Pretty awesome...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I can do everything Google Now can do with Siri just by adding "Google" to the beginning of my question since all Google Now does is search for your answer.

----------

Ok, this thread is a couple of days old, but the new thread on it led me here and I have a question.

In this video, they ask "Who won the Angels game yesterday" and it brings up a box score. They ask "How tall is Kobe Bryant" and it brings up his player card from espn.com.

I ask these questions, and the only reply I ever get is "Would like like to search the web for...". Every single time. Doesn't matter which team I ask about, which player I ask about...it's always a web search.

My question is; why is this happening? Is there some hidden setting I need to turn on?

You have to be on iOS 6. Those features aren't in iOS 5.1.1.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I can do everything Google Now can do with Siri just by adding "Google" to the beginning of my question since all Google Now does is search for your answer.

----------

You have to be on iOS 6. Those features aren't in iOS 5.1.1.

I'm dumb, overlooked that it said 6.0.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Apple. Why do we have to wait months on end to get that kind of functionality with Siri? There's no reason that can't be made into an update for us to use immediately instead of waiting for a whole "new" version of iOS. I mean, they still tag Siri as "beta" anyway, right?

Their way of doing business is becoming more and more frustrating.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm dumb, overlooked that it said 6.0.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Apple. Why do we have to wait months on end to get that kind of functionality with Siri? There's no reason that can't be made into an update for us to use immediately instead of waiting for a whole "new" version of iOS. I mean, they still tag Siri as "beta" anyway, right?

Their way of doing business is becoming more and more frustrating.

Your logic is so flawed. Why can't Google just release Jelly Bean now? Why do Android users have to wait? I mean it's OBVIOUSLY ready, the Nexus 7 is running it. Why do Android users have to wait another few weeks to use Google Now? It works perfectly so far!

Why in the world would Apple want to test their software for bugs before it's release so it's bug free when it's ready? That sounds absurd! What company would do that???

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Your logic is so flawed. Why can't Google just release Jelly Bean now? Why do Android users have to wait? I mean it's OBVIOUSLY ready, the Nexus 7 is running it. Why do Android users have to wait another few weeks to use Google Now? It works perfectly so far!

JB is an entire OS revision. Updating an app is totally different.

APP vs ENTIRE OS

Talk about flawed logic.

I didn't say HEY WHY DOESN'T APPLE RELEASE IOS6?!?! IT'S OBVIOUSLY ALREADY RUNNING!

I said, why can't they release an update for Siri.

There's no reason we've had to wait an entire year to get some real functionality to Siri instead of being asked if we'd "like to search the web for that". It's a joke.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Entire OS revision??? What are you on? All they did was modify how notifications look, revise how widgets act on the home screen, change how the CPU handles tasks to make things seem smoother, and add Google Now. The JB update is all but a .1 upgrade.

iOS 6 adds a multitude of new features and functions and it requires testing it get it working right. They can't add such major features to Siri without testing first.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
WHOA Google NOW IS Awesome!!!!!!
Man I may have to get a White GSM Galaxy Nexus...........................:eek:

Im confused. All you have to do is put "Google" at the beginning of your Siri queries and you'll get the EXACT same answers as Google Now. All Google Now does is search Google for you. Nothing new here.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Im confused. All you have to do is put "Google" at the beginning of your Siri queries and you'll get the EXACT same answers as Google Now. All Google Now does is search Google for you. Nothing new here.

Prove it. Oh and all Siri does is say I found this for you and you have to read it. What if you are in a car and cant read your tiny little screen while driving? Google reads your answer to you and is much quicker and more accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.