Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaxz247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am wanting to connect to an external monitor to my 2020 iPad Pro via a USB-C hub. As soon as I connect it, audio is defaulting to the dock and subsequently the HDMI connection (I’m guessing). However, my monitor does not have speakers and/or mic. So I can’t hear anything once the monitor is connected.

I want to be able to use voice conferencing. So the easiest way I can think of is to just keep audio/mic to the iPad. However, I can’t seem to find an option to do this. As a work around, I’ve been using my airpods for conferencing, which works fine. But I am wanting something I don’t have to keep in my ears all the time.

I’ve looked into several bluetooth speakers that have “speakerphone” capabilities. However, many of them don’t seem to work for voip things like Zoom or MS Teams.

What is everyone doing in this case? Is there a work around? Or are there good bluetooth speakers with mic’s that work for video conferencing?

Thanks!

Stackin

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2019
UK
I had the same issue, but fortunately my monitor has an audio output. It’s possible to extract the audio from the HDMI cable using a splitter. Search for “hdmi audio splitter” on Amazon. The audio could then go to a speaker and the mic in the iPad should pick up your voice.

I’d be interested To know if anyone is aware of a better way to direct only the video to the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.