Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorib01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Hey everyone,

I searched the forums but have yet to find a good answer to my question, I hope someone can give me some advice.
I'm getting my new Intel Duo mac this week and want to use it to convert some home video that was recorded on an older camcorder. I also need to convert some old lazer disks to DVD and it'd be great if I were able to convert some old audio cassette tapes to DVD. The problem is that I'm pretty broke after buying the new computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Buy an analog to digital converter, or if you already have a MiniDV camera it most likely will be able to act as a converter.

But if there is copy protection on the originals you might run into problems.

Lethal

lorib01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks, I didn't think a mini DV would do everything I require. I appreciate your input. Now I just need to find one at a resonable plrice.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
They don't all do what you require. If the MiniDV cam you buy has no analog inputs to allow for pass-thru, you'll be doing nothing with those old VHS tapes and laserdiscs.

The audio cassette tapes are easy to bring into your mac, you just need the right cable. Video is a whole other animal. Find a MiniDV cam like one of these:

http://www.homevideo101.com/articles/dv-cameras-passthrough.php

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Note that you can often find really cheap broken miniDV cameras that would fine for this application. You really don't care if the lens or tape transport mechanism don't work if you don't intend to use them.

B

lorib01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Cool, thanks. Some good advice, I appreciate it. I guess the right cable for my tape conversion would just be cables with the correct ends (RCA...).

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.