Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfuss11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Hey.

I have used a 2011 MacBook Pro 15' inch for 6 years. The GPU has finally done whatever it's been doing to kill the 2011 MacBook Pros. (sidenote: if anyone knows how to fix it without the hardware repair, I'd love to hear it.)

I edit video and still images. I've just been to the Mac store to view what they have available and I am conflicted. I am looking for your opinions on the 2017 MacBook Pro 15' vs. the older 15' model.

I hate the lack of USB ports. I am attached to the built-in SD card reader, which the 2017 does not have. I could take or leave the touchbar. THE RECESSED KEYBOARD SEEMS ANNOYING.

I don't know if I'm just attached to what I've used for so long... does the 2017 perform much better than the older model? Is the touchbar more useful than I think? Are the graphics amazing? Do you get used to the recessed keyboard?

Thanks
Courtney

EDIT: For anyone coming across this thread later... I bought a Dell XPS 15' w. NVIDIA 1050 & touchscreen and I effing love it. It's been a month and as someone mentioned, there are some issues characteristic to the XPS. However, I've found that they are heavily discussed online and fixable in a variety of ways.

I feel like I'm able to customize my experience much better, and I'm loving Adobe Premiere Pro over Final Cut. The touchscreen is rad; I use it all the time. It is super light and powerful. The infinity-display is still satisfying a month later; I love the carbon fiber body. I like that I can easily adjust hardware if I need.

The only thing I had trouble adjusting to was the touchpad. Even though the XPS 15' touchpad is quite good, it's nowhere near as polished as Apple Macbook Pros'. It's a little jarring at first, but you get used to it.

So, if you've landed here after googling "Video Editing - Macbook Pro?" Or some other variation of that question, and are vaguely considering the switch to a non-Mac computer, my experience has been quite positive.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Well - my personal decision after a few different 2016 models has me using a 2015 15".

I don't like the touch bar, am mixed on the new keyboards and love the convenience of the array of ports on the 2015 models.

I use it standalone and with a 31.5" LG 31MU97 external for dual screen when I do FCPX work.
Works brilliantly.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
does the 2017 perform much better than the older model?

From what I have seen, a little bit better in terms of rendering time, everything else is equal

Is the touchbar more useful than I think?

No :D it is occasionally useful (for example, video scrolling with it is very nice), but nothing even close to revolutionary

Are the graphics amazing?

Do you mean the screen or the GPU?
The screen is absolutely awesome and superbright (which I enjoy a lot)
The GPU is pretty bad for the amount of money you are paying.

Do you get used to the recessed keyboard?

I personally enjoy it a lot. But it's my own preference, I just love keyboards with low travel - my two favourite are actually this one and the Dell XPS ones. This one however requires a very different approach to typing, you need to use as little power as possible when pressing the keys, and then it will be all good :)

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Keep in mind that if you buy the 2015 you only get an integrated GPU which, regardless of how people may feel about the 2016/2017 GPU offerings, will be vastly inferior.

Reactions: cfuss11

cfuss11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
my two favourite are actually this one and the Dell XPS ones.

Since I posted, I'm seriously considering the Dell Precision 5510...
I've used Apple for so long... it seems crazy to move to Windows. It just seems like these new Dell computers are outperforming Macbooks.

Did you look into Windows options at all before buying your macbook?

[doublepost=1497191527][/doublepost]
Did a couple of edits with Blackmagic RAW on 2015 Macbook, no issues.

Any opinion on Dell's XPS/Precision vs. Macbook Pro for editing?

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
I've used Apple for so long... it seems crazy to move to Windows. It just seems like these new Dell computers are outperforming Macbooks.

I can't stand windows ergonomics and feel myself much more comfortable using mac's trackpad rather than mouse clicking. Cannot comment on hardware comparison since I hadn't had a chance to work with Dell laptops.

Reactions: cfuss11

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016

I actually use both, I have a base model 13'' non touchbar Macbook, which I use for typing, team communcation, mindmapping, office work, etc. and I also have a dell XPS for video editing and more intensive stuff. Best of both worlds sort of :D

If you want to use Final Cut, go Mac. The render times are great, but in my case I also need After Effects. And I have to say, AE even on a maxed out MBP works REALLY BAD. 16GB of RAM overflows in no time and the whole process is very laggy. I guess it's mostly Adobe's fault since they literally do nothing for Mac optimization - for example, both PP & AE work better with bootcamp on a Mac than in the Mac OS. And, of course, the integration between PP & AE is far superior to the FC -> AE workflow.

If you want to go Premiere however, it's Windows all the way, you will never regret it. XPS 15 with a 1050 and 32 gigs of RAM works wonderfully, and the screen is a godsend :)

Also wanted to add, the trackpads on the Dell laptops (at least the XPS) are almost on the Mac level, so you can easily do trackpad - only editing.

Reactions: Queen6 and cfuss11

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Windows is fine. I have both platforms and like both. I MUCH prefer Macs though. But the Dell Precision would probably work out best for you.

If it wasn't for the Apple software, I would not use Macs as much. My workflow is screaming fast with FCPX, I have tried Premiere Pro in the past, but keep coming back to FCPX. Logic and Garageband are also very nice for what I need.

If you are not tied to the software portion, I would say get the Dell. I find Windows 10 frustrating at times, but it is still pretty good. Dells are my go-to for Windows laptops, I have always had good luck with them.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

cfuss11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Thank you this is very helpful!
[doublepost=1497192859][/doublepost]Thanks!

Joooeforlong

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2017
Man, I'm having the same debate (have a 2011 15")! Spending lots of free time researching, haha. I use Premiere as well and I kind of feel like I'm looking down the barrel of either switching to Windows and stay on premiere, or get a new MBP and figure out a way to switch to Final Cut. I've seen and read a lot about the totally insane render times of FCPX on Macs and it really has me thinking.

kirqe

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2017
Keep in mind that if you buy the 2015 you only get an integrated GPU which, regardless of how people may feel about the 2016/2017 GPU offerings, will be vastly inferior.

15" 2015 has dgpu... Or do you think you can only buy from apple.com and there're no other sites that still sell 2015 models with dgpu?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Man, I'm having the same debate (have a 2011 15")! Spending lots of free time researching, haha. I use Premiere as well and I kind of feel like I'm looking down the barrel of either switching to Windows and stay on premiere, or get a new MBP and figure out a way to switch to Final Cut. I've seen and read a lot about the totally insane render times of FCPX on Macs and it really has me thinking.

That is one of the things that keeps me on FCPX. Premiere Pro just renders slower even on my desktop with a 1080. My MacBook Pro 2016 15" model renders so fast and my workflow is much faster there too.

I can take slower render times, but I just cannot get my premiere workflow to match my FCPX workflow in terms of speed. That should be what makes your decision. If you can get your workflow close to just as fast as premiere, then I would say it is worth it to switch.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
15" 2015 has dgpu... Or do you think you can only buy from apple.com and there're no other sites that still sell 2015 models with dgpu?
Apple is currently only selling non dGPU 2015 15" models now. You'll have to wait for them to show up in the refurb section again, if and when that happens.

ETA: Misread your post so added:
Best Buy, B&H PhotoVideo and others may still have models in stock though.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016

Depends a lot on what you need. If you just need a standalone video editor for lets say vlogging or basic youtube video production, final cut pro will be more than enough for it. If you want to go beyond it however, the Adobe Cloud is the only way. I would say overall PP is slower but more powerful - and, of course, has phenomenal integration with AE & Photoshop. And right now Motion (aka After Effects for Mac) totally sucks.

Another advantage is of course that Adobe is cross platform, if that is of any use to you.

As for fast render times - you can use PowerDirector on Windows. It's not as powerful as PP or AE, but the render times are even faster :)

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

It refers to what Apple currently makes. Obviously if someone wanted to, they could acquire just about anything a company no longer makes or sells.

cfuss11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
I bought a Dell XPS 15" w/ NVIDIA 1050.

It's bye bye Apple for now. Hope I don't regret it.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I bought a Dell XPS 15" w/ NVIDIA 1050.

It's bye bye Apple for now. Hope I don't regret it.

You will, unfortunately.

As soon as the hinge gives out (common XPS issue), or the speakers blow out (common XPS issue), or you get your first taste of Dell's signature driver and BIOS craziness. Also the UI trashfire that is Windows 10.

The biggest fallacy that techies fall into is that they think the CPU/GPU performance is all that matters in a laptop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.