Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
Hello all....

I am a contract editor for several video production studios around town... right now I'm working off of my MBP, but have felt the need for a desktop system.

A studio friend recently redid his video studio with a macpro, and has offered his dual 2ghz, 3GB ram, 410GB HD to me for $1300.

Now my question is simply this, have you found your investment in a full size desktop computer to be worth while? I could just as easily get a newer referb or used Imac, with 1GB of ram and an intel chip for around the same price...

thank you for your time!

(BTW, I use Finalcut studio, and Boris Red most often)

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
My 2.5Ghz Quad PowerMac G5 is perfect for video making and editing. I don't regret buy it. For your friend's deal to you, if you could afford it go for it.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Hello all....

I am a contract editor for several video production studios around town... right now I'm working off of my MBP, but have felt the need for a desktop system.

A studio friend recently redid his video studio with a macpro, and has offered his dual 2ghz, 3GB ram, 410GB HD to me for $1300.

Now my question is simply this, have you found your investment in a full size desktop computer to be worth while? I could just as easily get a newer referb or used Imac, with 1GB of ram and an intel chip for around the same price...

thank you for your time!

(BTW, I use Finalcut studio, and Boris Red most often)

What kind of footage are you editing? If you edit for a living, I would not get an iMac, it has no expandability and just isn't made for pros. I am not questioning its power, it's just that it wouldn't appeal to most editors.

The deal you've been given with that dual G5 is actually pretty good considering what is inside. A Mac Pro is more future proof because it is Intel and that is the direction that Apple is moving in. The G5 will slowly get abandoned.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
What kind of footage are you editing? If you edit for a living, I would not get an iMac, it has no expandability and just isn't made for pros. I am not questioning its power, it's just that it wouldn't appeal to most editors.

The deal you've been given with that dual G5 is actually pretty good considering what is inside. A Mac Pro is more future proof because it is Intel and that is the direction that Apple is moving in. The G5 will slowly get abandoned.

thanks for the replies!

I don't have 4 grand to get a decent MacPro,

mostly SD stuff... DVC Pro 50... but I've recently been getting a lot of P2 stuff.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
thanks for the replies!

I don't have 4 grand to get a decent MacPro,

mostly SD stuff... DVC Pro 50... but I've recently been getting a lot of P2 stuff.

Well I'd either grab that G5, or get a refurbed Mac Pro.

I know many PRO editors that use that Dual G5 and one that does shows for the History Channel with that machine (HD stuff) so I know it is capable of doing some work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.