Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
How do the video studios "finish" their video? When you look at the behind the senes footage it always had a raw-ish look to it. What do they use on the actual movie footage to give it that final product look?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i would guess mostly it's color correction. for film film, there may actually be a different, higher quality print made of the actual film after color correcting.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Probably colour correction or grading.

I'm guessing.

Rich.

Benjamindaines said:
How do the video studios "finish" their video? When you look at the behind the senes footage it always had a raw-ish look to it. What do they use on the actual movie footage to give it that final product look?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
The other thing is that these behind the scene specials are usually shot in video, which looks much different from film. The traditional "unfinished" scene shots will have been shot in video and from somewhat of a different angle, thus revealing lighting flaws, boom mics, and set flaws that are not visible from the film camera's point of view. There will most definetly be color correction and grading that occurs in post production, but i think that the unfinished feel comes from the fact they were shooting with video.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
When you see the "deleted" scenes in some movies they have that crappy look to it. but its still obviously film because you can see all the scratches and dust and grain.

you can tell what was deleted because of money instead of timing because those deleted scenes look TERRIBLE compared to the others, which were finalized but cut at the last moment.

I think all film shot for a movie looks like total and utter crap, only thing important is the exposure is right. Then they just color correct and all that jazz the stuff they will keep. Cuz its cheaper to do a rough cut of crappy looking footage and then only remaster the stuff you will use.

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
All scenes now go through digital compositing process. There they are 'corrected' from any kind of flaw there is. FX are applied usually invisible ones. After the Compositing they are colour corrected so the image has a particular texture e.g. James Cameron Movies tend to be blueish...)

For this process there are several Mac tools that are used, Shake being the most prominent for big jobs and After Effects for small ones. Colour correction usually involves a special software and sometimes a special control board that features a lot of knobs.

Then when each frame is ready they are either recorded into a Master tape or passed into a negative laser printer were they are 'printed':p into film.

In order to do this they are editing machines that are called finishing. They are called that because they can handle the files at full resolution without any kind of compression. Those include Avid Nitris DS turnkey systems as well as Discreet Fire/Smoke..., they cost $100K>, although some people do it with FCP

On that note, at the next NAB in April there are rumours that Apple will release Final Cut Extreme its own finishing machine...

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
iris_failsafe said:
On that note, at the next NAB in April there are rumours that Apple will release Final Cut Extreme its own finishing machine...

I've also read somewhere that it'll run on only the very top end Apple hardware as well.

Since I seem to have missed the chance of getting FCStudio on the cheap, by finding a copy of Motion-2 and upgrading to the Univ.Binary version of Studio, I'm wondering when/what Apple will do for the next version of Studio.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
evil_santa said:
yep its #8 in the FCE spec.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/featureoverview.html

Personally I find FCP color corrector very lumpy. You might want to check out something like color Finesse or Final Touch

I love suggestions like this.
"Hey, can my $300 software do color correction?"
"Yes, but you might want consider spending $2000 to $5000 specifically on color correction software."

I'd hope that purpose built software that costs more than FCP (an NLE) performs better in the CC department. For NLEs FCP has solid CC abilities though.

Lethal

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
the main reason that outtakes/deleted scenes don't look as great is for another reason too - when you pull footage out using something like Cinema Tools, you create an offline copy, and do an offline edit, with lower grade footage (you can do this with your DV videos too), making it far far faster to edit, and it takes waaay less space.

Cinema Tools and similar apps create markers, so when you've edited your final cut using, umm, final cut, it'll whip out the footage at best quality, but ONLY the cells/frames that you specify in the final edit.

there are good points with the filtering made above, but the biggest reason for difference with grainy footage is this.

or so i'm told, by an editor at sony pictures... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.