Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrymck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Any talk about whether or when we might see video iChat on the iPhone? It would a monumental step for Apple, in many ways, not to mention a fabulous capability for users.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Any talk about whether or when we might see video iChat on the iPhone? It would a monumental step for Apple, in many ways, not to mention a fabulous capability for users.

There is already a video chat for the iPhone. I forget where you can get it or if it is packaged as a native app yet....however to even use it you have to have a couple mirrors rigged due to the camera being on the back of the phone so its not really practical...

terrymck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
...however to even use it you have to have a couple mirrors rigged due to the camera being on the back of the phone so its not really practical...

Yep...the lens would need to be moved.....not a big deal for such an important upgrade. There's been recent media commentary about Apple's overall business strategy, with the iPod bypassing the carriers (ATT) to the internet via WiFi. Imagine if every teenager in America could video chat without paying for phone/IM service. You KNOW Apple has thought about that.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Considering nobody has successfully created a video recording application yet (the one you're referring to is more of a picture slideshow then a video app) and the camera is on the back of the iPhone, I doubt we'll see video in an iChat application.

Just curious, but why would you want this? I mean, personally, I don't need to see the people I'm talking to while I'm "on the go".

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
You'll probably need HSDPA in it first.

Yet again, it's amazing what the iPhone can do with EDGE alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.