Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
Hello,

just want to mess around with some stuff and i was wondering which is likely to give best results and value for money. Dont really want to spend alot as at the moment its really just for fun. Having said this i am doing a graphics degree so it could come in handy.

I have access to a hi8 sony camcorder at pressent and am swayed towards getting the adaptor as then i can import any video signal and if im looking to burn onto dvd i cant push above 640x480 on most anyhow. Although as i have little experiance in this area can someone please offer some advice.

was looking at the ADS Pyro AV Link - api 550...

cheers

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Cant offer to much specific help, but I THINK most/lots of miniDV camcorders can take a regular video signal as an imput and pass it along as a DV data stream. So, in theory, a nice DV camcorder could do both of the things you are looking for.

Rob

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
if you shot a lot on Hi8 you might considering a cheap Digital8 camera, it has FireWire(DV) out and you can use it to playback older analog tapes and capture them trough FireWire(DV) without any problem

if you didn't shot anything in Hi8 yet... go for the more spread miniDV

or indeed an analog tranformer, but I don't know the good ones, but I think you might recon +400 EURO (541,68 USD) for one of those...

J

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, thanks for all your help...

the elgato things look quite pricy... can pick up an analog converter for about £129 which aint too bad.

think i may look into it a bit more and find out how much a minidv camcorder can be picked up for...

cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.