Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Using Final Cut Express I would like to have an external video monitor to preview my movies on. I don't have one of the little TVs yet but I do have a choice of monitors I can use. I can either use a small CRT that I can set to a very low resolution 600 x 480 or 800 x 600, I can also use a small LCD monitor but I can only set that to 1024 x 768. My question is which would be better to use, the CRT or the LCD? I was thinking the CRT because the lower resolution would be closer to that of the actual film but wanted your opinions as well.

--Thanks.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Benjamindaines said:
Using Final Cut Express I would like to have an external video monitor to preview my movies on. I don't have one of the little TVs yet but I do have a choice of monitors I can use. I can either use a small CRT that I can set to a very low resolution 600 x 480 or 800 x 600, I can also use a small LCD monitor but I can only set that to 1024 x 768. My question is which would be better to use, the CRT or the LCD? I was thinking the CRT because the lower resolution would be closer to that of the actual film but wanted your opinions as well.

--Thanks.

It's really not going to help you out much because of the differences between how images are displayed on a computer monitor vs. how images are displayed on a TV. Even a cheap $80 TV would be better than using a computer monitor to preview your work on.

Lethal

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
LethalWolfe is right, get a small TV and hook it up to your Mac. Computer monitors can't show interlaced images as TV does, they also have some "special" TV-only features

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
No DOUBT, preview your video on a television. It's the most accurate way to view your footage and you'll have accurate T.V. safe zones because your using a T.V. to preview your footage!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.