Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hello all,
Back in the day I ordered a NAS with transcoding capability (415play). Today, an ATV 4K (1st gen) can do transcoding too.
I am about to jump on a cheap but ultra low tier Synology DS218j (no transcoding capability whatsoever) to serve mainly as a backup. However I would also like to play videos through the LAN network to AppleTV 4K (first gen). I currently use the Infuse App for AppleTV to connect to the NAS and stream.

So: the NAS only reads and pushes the data through the LAN to the ATV4K. The ATV4K receives the data stream and transcodes if necessary.

My question is: what video playback performance can I expect from this combo?
I can only assume that the pure data stream for even a 10GB 4K 2hr movie (1.4 MB/s or 10mbit/s) can be handled by any NAS and LAN, so if the ATV can transcode I should be set.
Or am I missing something?

Edit:
Just to be clear I don't use Plex and I don't need to stream movies over the internet, streaming over LAN only.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
You should be fine because I used a first gen 4k and streamed from a qnap NAS. Streams were full 4k and HD rips with lossless audio.
Thanks! And may I assume that your qnap NAS did not do any transcoding?

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Correct, zero transcoding is being done by my Qnap. The ATV connects to my router via Wifi and Qnap is connected to my router via Ethernet.

ATV accesses the Qnap with Infuse Pro using SMB.
Ah, wonderful, thank you again. Nice to see I'm not the only one here using Infuse Pro. Well that is reassuring, I can't wait to get my hands on the unit. Should be an easy one moving the hard drives over and plugging it in...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ah, wonderful, thank you again. Nice to see I'm not the only one here using Infuse Pro. Well that is reassuring, I can't wait to get my hands on the unit. Should be an easy one moving the hard drives over and plugging it in...
Note that the drives will be erased by the NAS to install the DSM OS.

Edit: erasing the drives may be necessary if the drives can't be migrated to the new NAS.

Last edited:

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013

Nowadays migration is more simple.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
You should be fine because I used a first gen 4k and streamed from a qnap NAS. Streams were full 4k and HD rips with lossless audio.
Indeed, I get smooth 4K video playback. I downloaded some 4k sample YouTube video (tropical beaches, deep blue waters) and it went fine.

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.