Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmacb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
I've used multiple generations of GoPros, starting with the first HD Hero. I currently have a Hero 4 Session and a Hero 4 Black. Having just recently started using the 4 series cameras, I'm having an issue with rendering videos. I've got a lot of lag and choppy playback. It's making editing a real pain. I'd love some advice. I'm running an older MBP, but it has been upgraded and kept fairly current. I had no issues with rendering/playing video prior to the Hero 4's, even rendering similar video files (1080 at 30 and 60 fps). My current setup is as follows: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 5 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB, running El Capitan. Help is welcome. The one reputable Mac service center in the area, the one that has done all the repairs/upgrades on this machine, is no longer doing any service work. I don't know where to turn.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm guessing your Mac doesn't meet the requirements needed to edit the video that the GoPro records.

tmacb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
I'm guessing your Mac doesn't meet the requirements needed to edit the video that the GoPro records.

That's sure how it's acting, but the resolution and frame rate on the files I'm trying to watch/edit are similar to clips I've been working with from earlier GoPro cameras (1080 @30fps). I guess I'm looking for a more specific diagnosis. If it's a weak link in the hardware, what's the weak link, and what does it need to do the job?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If it's a weak link in the hardware, what's the weak link, and what does it need to do the job?

How are the video files encoded? If there is a different codec being used in the old files vs the new ones, that could be your issue.

tmacb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
The OS was upgraded along with iMovie, between when I last edited video with the previous camera, and starting to use the new ones. I'm wondering if the software/OS changes increased demand on the machine.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The OS was upgraded along with iMovie, between when I last edited video with the previous camera, and starting to use the new ones. I'm wondering if the software/OS changes increased demand on the machine.

Could have done new versions of software often need higher specs to run well and I think that iMovie might struggle on that graphics card these days. Is that a 2007 MBP by any chance?? It is pushing ten years old may be time for new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.