Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allseeingi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Should I be able to view video (undistorted) at a resolution that takes up my entire screen when I'm editing in FCE?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
allseeingi said:
Should I be able to view video (undistorted) at a resolution that takes up my entire screen when I'm editing in FCE?
I don't know if FCE has the "cinema desktop" feature or not, but FCP has a feature where you can enable your project to playback full screen in your monitor. Where it's full res or not I think would depend on what your playback quality settings are and if anything in your timeline needs to be rendered.

In FCE you can look under View-->external view and see if you have "cinema desktop" as an option (I think that's what it's called).

Lethal

allseeingi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
It does have the "cinema desktop" feature. When I tried it, the image was distorted due to it being stretched out. I'll try rendering it later to see if that makes a difference.

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
If you make DV video fill the full screen it will always look bad. Your screen has (at least) a resolution of 1024x768. DV has a resolution 720x480. Any time you stretch it that much, it'll look bad. Personally, I always try to leave my preview/canvas screen at 100% size. That way you get no distortion.

Your best option is to push your "full screen" video to a TV. I know FCP does this, not sure about FCE. On a TV you'll see the real color and quality of DV. It really does look a lot better on a TV screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.