Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

I'm running OS X Mavericks on my 2011 MacBook Pro. For about the last month or so, i've noticed an odd behaviour - my whole screen flashes at random times, though more recently, I've noticed that it flashes during certain behaviour.

When I have the Twitter app for Mac OS open and click on any number buttons or letters, the screen seems to flash. I've uploaded a quick video on Youtube to show what happens: http://youtu.be/v9DY9FMntSQ

I've also noticed this happen when I have the UTorrent app open - when the download completes and a growl notification is displayed on the top right of the screen to say that a download is complete, the screen also flashes.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on? I am seriously hoping that this is not a graphics card problem (after hearing of the common faulty graphics cards across the 2011 MBP line, i've been getting very paranoid) but rather something to do with OS X Mavericks instead or software related (which I can live with).

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you! ;)

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The same here when using not binded keys in GarageBand. A beep sound and a flash. You can adjust this in prefs pane:

ScreenCap%202014-04-25%20om%2021.10.52.jpg

[] Flash screen at warning signal
-> Test Screenflash

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
The same here when using not binded keys in GarageBand. A beep sound and a flash. You can adjust this in prefs pane:

[] Flash screen at warning signal
-> Test Screenflash

OMG THANK YOU BDM STUDIOS NL !!!!!!!:):):):)

This looks to have solved the problem. Mine was already unchecked but I re-checked the option and then unchecked it. Seems to have stopped the flashing issue. Had to translate the screenshot with Google Translate :)

Now I can finally use my MBP without being irritated by annoying screen flashes. Thanks once again! ;)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

This looks to have solved the problem. Mine was already unchecked but I re-checked the option and then unchecked it. Seems to have stopped the flashing issue.

Tinkering can work sometimes.

Had to translate the screenshot with Google Translate :)

Perhaps it's time for me to change my OS to English version? :D

Now I can finally use my MBP without being irritated by annoying screen flashes. Thanks once again! ;)

YMW! Glad to be of help.

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

This looks to have solved the problem. Mine was already unchecked but I re-checked the option and then unchecked it. Seems to have stopped the flashing issue. Had to translate the screenshot with Google Translate :)

Here you go and for other users discretion!;)

ScreenCap%202014-05-02%20at%2021.44.02.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.