Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have taken little interest in video, but now want to pick up my video shooting and editing skills. I want to get to a stage where I shoot 10 mins documentaries for fun and practice.

Having heard a lot about how the iPhone is still way ahead of others phones when it comes to video capabilities, I feel I should be good starting with the phone and not worry about getting something like the GH-5. Do you agree?

1) In terms of video capabilities is there a significant difference (for my use scenario) between the latest iPhone 11, the XR, and the X and Xs (refurbs)?

What would I lose out if I just used the iPhone 7 or 8 (both of which I have)?

2) Having a telephoto camera in the same phone could be quite useful video work. What is your experience shooting video with the tele lenses on iPhones? I think the aperture is smaller, and perhaps the sensor smaller. Does that make take down the video quality below acceptable levels?

3) Which accessories do you recommend? I am thinking of lighting (a flash?) and video stabilisation.

Finally, I'd appreciate if you share any links you find useful for video work.

Thanks!

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
You may want to use a gimbal...
Off topic, you may want to use an LG V50 ThinQ or V60. They are better at video recording.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks. Can you recommend one that is not expensive?
I'll look up the LG sets too.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
You may want to use a gimbal...
Off topic, you may want to use an LG V50 ThinQ or V60. They are better at video recording.

The lg v50/60 aren't better at video recording. The iphones have better video quality and stabilization

They have a native camera app with more features than the iphones but there is always the option to get an app like filmic pro and change the video bitrates, iso, etc and i certainly prefer a modern iphone to any other phone out there to do video recordings for now.
The V50/60 is still a very good option mind you.

And i agree with the op, current iphones are pretty good for video recording, i can't tell much difference against a camcorder of the same price in good light conditions. The camcorders have better perfomance at night and much more optical zoom though, which the phones/iphones still need to improve on it.
I also recommend a gimbal and a tripod if you are well into it.

1) In terms of video capabilities is there a significant difference (for my use scenario) between the latest iPhone 11, the XR, and the X and Xs (refurbs)?

Iphone's 11 have a little bit better stabilization over its predecessors and hdr (altho the latter it is said to be more of a gimmick...) and of course the ultra wide lens (but i only find it usable in very good light conditions as it doesnt have the same quality as the main lens)

Last edited:

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
The lg v50/60 aren't better at video recording. The iphones have better video quality and stabilization
NEVER, in fact Iphone 11 are using almost similar lenses like v50 made by LG innotek and i incline to believe LG is giving also the camera drivers to apple as the camera app menu is so similar.

They have a native camera app with more features than the iphones but there is always the option to get an app like filmic pro and change the video bitrates, iso, etc and i certainly prefer a modern iphone to any other phone out there to do video recordings for now.

And i agree with the op, current iphones are pretty good for video recording, i can't tell much difference against a camcorder of the same price in good light conditions. The camcorders have better perfomance at night and much more optical zoom though, which the phones/iphones still need to improve on it.

Iphone's 11 have a little bit better stabilization over its predecessors and hdr (altho the latter it is said to be more of a gimmick...) and of course the ultra wide lens (but i only find it usable in very good light conditions as it doesnt have the same quality as the main lens)
i dont agree
personally i own an v50 korean modell and i know what im talking... v50 us version is diffrent from korean
That youtube video is fake all day long. :)))))))))))
[automerge]1595588547[/automerge]

here are some v50 4K 80Mb/sec EIS + OIS Super Steady samples i took

.... no further comments

Last edited:

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010

Thanks. This is helpful and I can see how the LG looks really good too. Thing is, at this point it doesn't make sense for me to get out of Apple ecosystem, as I've decided to stay away from Android.

Can you recommend a basic but decent quality Gimbal?

I had a lot of difficult figuring out and comparing between different sensor sizes both within the same phone and between different phones.
Manufacturers write stuff like tele when in fact it is just the standard 50 mm lens (in full frame DSLR terms). Then they say the sensor is large but it's not easy to find the specs and how it compares with larger sensors such as 1" Sony RX100 Sony cameras.
I'd appreciate if you point me to websites that discuss the phone camera specs in detail.
Thanks!

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
That youtube video is fake all day long. :)))))))))))
[automerge]1595588547[/automerge]

here are some v50 4K 80Mb/sec EIS + OIS Super Steady samples i took

.... no further comments

On second thoughts you may be right regarding that video, the V50's estabilization should be better (as well as the iphone's picture quality showed in there)

And yeah the v50's videos look very good, i wouldn't say better than iphones but close to them (as i said you can also modify the video bitrates etc on ios altho im not sure the difference in quality is worth it in relation with the size of the videos recorded).

A high end lens is just part of the question, there is also the processor and the image processing algorithms.

Thanks. This is helpful and I can see how the LG looks really good too. Thing is, at this point it doesn't make sense for me to get out of Apple ecosystem, as I've decided to stay away from Android.

Can you recommend a basic but decent quality Gimbal?

I had a lot of difficult figuring out and comparing between different sensor sizes both within the same phone and between different phones.
Manufacturers write stuff like tele when in fact it is just the standard 50 mm lens (in full frame DSLR terms). Then they say the sensor is large but it's not easy to find the specs and how it compares with larger sensors such as 1" Sony RX100 Sony cameras.
I'd appreciate if you point me to websites that discuss the phone camera specs in detail.
Thanks!

I have not tried a gimbal yet but the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and the DJI osmo are usually the most popular/recommended.

Sensors are just a part of the equation but yes, a bigger sensor should give you better performance at night... i believe the biggest sensor is the one mounted on the vivo x50 pro+ hence its excellent night video recording.

Edit: it is actually the p40

sensores.png

For extensive camera reviews there is DXOMARK but i don't usually agree with their ratings.

Last edited:

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Video is generally easy. Use Filmic Pro and experiment with it. But generally, it’s point, set exposure and focus, and shoot. It’s audio that’s more complicated. For example, do you want to record audio separately and sync in post, or do it all “in camera” by using an interface and/or attached mic or simply a stereo or shotgun mic connected to the iPhone. My videos are generally done with an iPhone 11 and a Centrance Mixerface R4 however, each scenario is different. Do I want to be run and gun style, or more of a setting where I can set things up etc. There’s no one size fits all scenario.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have not tried a gimbal yet but the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and the DJI osmo are usually the most popular/recommended.
Thanks. I'll check these out. The Zhuyun looks more affordable. Or, maybe just get the X50 Pro, which has an inbuilt gimbal! Thanks for pointing that you. I didn't even know things had developed so far, so fast.
Sensors are just a part of the equation but yes, a bigger sensor should give you better performance at night... i believe the biggest sensor is the one mounted on the vivo x50 pro+ hence its excellent night video recording.

Edit: it is actually the p40
How do you see sensor tech developing over the next 2-3 years?
Do you think APS-C camera will also lose their night photo taking abilities in this time?
At this point, I have the distinct feeling that it'll be hard to justify holding on to my Fuji and its lenses in 2-3 years from now.
Over on the camera forums they always point out how the laws of Physics show that a full frame or APS-C is always better. What do you think are the limits of sensor size for phones? Are we reaching these soon?
Who would have thought that phone makers will come up with periscope designs and give huge zoom ranges. Maybe, they'll come up with some magic for the sensors too?
For extensive camera reviews there is DXOMARK but i don't usually agree with their ratings.
The chart is quite helpful. Thanks! Can I ask which website you got this from?
Other than DxO, which website do you recommend?
[automerge]1595693743[/automerge]
Video is generally easy. Use Filmic Pro and experiment with it. But generally, it’s point, set exposure and focus, and shoot. It’s audio that’s more complicated. For example, do you want to record audio separately and sync in post, or do it all “in camera” by using an interface and/or attached mic or simply a stereo or shotgun mic connected to the iPhone. My videos are generally done with an iPhone 11 and a Centrance Mixerface R4 however, each scenario is different. Do I want to be run and gun style, or more of a setting where I can set things up etc. There’s no one size fits all scenario.
Thanks, this is useful to know. I hadn't thought about audio recording issues.
Do you find the IP 11 audio recording much better than previous iPhones?
If I record audio separately, how complicated is it to sync it in iMovies?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you are serious about high quality results and you feel your abilities to capture a good shot are there just keep your current iPhone. Get a 3rd party camera app like Filmic Pro and editing software that offers color correction and grading for PC or Mac (need to be able to apply a LUT). The free version of Resolve can get you started with no investment. If you decide to invest into editing software you can then decide on Resolve, Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, etc...(free version of Resolve doesn't let you use built in HDR functions and some other features). Unfortunately you'll eventually need video editing software. Doing everything on phone isn't possible and from what I've seen those that do use creative liberties and tricks to mask certain things. Basically its expert difficulty mode that only turns out well because deficiencies in one aspect is made for with overwhelming talent in another aspect.

You aren't utilizing the camera you have now to its maximum potential, once you know an upgrade will benefit you then invest in more hardware. With a bit of dedication to learning and using a better camera apps and editing software your current iPhone can produce better results then newer better smartphones and even DSLRs if they are using linear capture functions (with caveats).

The hardware, in this case a smartphone camera is very important however its importance its vastly overshadowed by the skill and dedication of the person operating it. In this regard cinematography isn't much different than painting. If you gave me the worlds best paintbrush, paint and canvas I'll give you the worlds worst painting. I just don't know wtf I'm doing with a paintbrush so it doesn't matter how nice it is.

Consider this, Steven Soderbergh's film Unsane currently on Amazon Prime was shot using iPhones a few years ago. So likely using similar or older iPhones then you currently have? There are a few main stream films shot entirely or in part using a smartphone. An iPhone 11 Pro Max or LG whatever isn't the bottleneck preventing any of us from producing amazing looking videos.

Personally I would suggest starting with the basics. On a PC or Mac download the free version of Resolve and Filmic's deLOG / deFlat LUT (free on Filmic's webpage), import the LUT into Resolve. Download the Filmic Pro app ($) plus its Cinematography Kit ($ - required to record using their LOGv2). Watch all the tutorial videos and learn how to use the live analytics mostly to get your exposure as good as the scene allows. Then make 2 stationary recordings of a bright environment with shadows (wide range) especially with distinguishable details in the shadow area. Use the native iPhone camera app for one recording and the Filmic Pro app using LOGv2 profile for the other. Export the Filmic LOG capture from your iPhone to your PC/Mac and import it into Resolve. Go right to the color tab and the clip you made and apply the Filmic deLOG LUT, then render it out without any other altercations. Finally compare the native camera app video to the Filmic Pro LOG + LUT you just made.

That might sound complicated and it kind of is but all you are doing is capturing the video using a logarithmic profile (LOG) which distributes digital exposure values more evenly to capture details that would normal be outside a linear profiles range. The LOG video contains a wider tonal and dynamic range but on an uncorrected monitor will look washed out because the dark area of the curve is increased and bright area is decreased (low contrast). So you are then color grading in Resolve to apply the specific color look up table (LUT) which changes the profile color values back to a values (rec709) your monitor can correctly display.

So comparing those specific videos (bright environment with shadow details) you'll easily see a difference of what the native app clipped and the Filmic Pro app LOGv2 preserved. Plus any issues can likely be blamed on something you did wrong when recoding the video so you know what you personally need to improve on. And the beauty of all this is with minimal investment you dramatically increased your ability to produce much better quality video from any source without actually doing any real editing like color correction, more artistic color grading, effects, filters, chroma subsampling, etc etc etc nor have you even scratched the surface of what either Filmic or Resolve are capable of so you can only see massive improvements moving forward.

You can learn a lot from trying to recreate/copy something you think is cool that someone else has done. Its not creative but figuring out a complicated technique teaches you a half dozen simple techniques that can be utilized in other things.

Reactions: Azzin

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Thanks. I'll check these out. The Zhuyun looks more affordable. Or, maybe just get the X50 Pro, which has an inbuilt gimbal! Thanks for pointing that you. I didn't even know things had developed so far, so fast.

Do you think APS-C camera will also lose their night photo taking abilities in this time?
At this point, I have the distinct feeling that it'll be hard to justify holding on to my Fuji and its lenses in 2-3 years from now.
Over on the camera forums they always point out how the laws of Physics show that a full frame or APS-C is always better. What do you think are the limits of sensor size for phones? Are we reaching these soon?
Who would have thought that phone makers will come up with periscope designs and give huge zoom ranges. Maybe, they'll come up with some magic for the sensors too?

The good news is that audio doesn’t change much between phones. Unless the connector changes from lightning to usb C sometime in the future, but quality wise, it’s all fairly similar. The bad news is syncing audio in a simple app like iMovie is sort of a pain. There’s no one button to sync everything like say Final Cut. It’s all manual. This is why I prefer to do everything “in camera”. It frees up a lot of editing time.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
I forgot about audio... If audio is also an important part of the picture, then, again, LG is the way to go. Do your research about LG phones and external mics and the HiFi audio it can record... Also built-in mics are the best in class... The downside is that this year lg v60 is a downgrade in cameras over the last year v50 in some aspects... I would consider also the newest Sony Xperia 1 mark 2... Probably is the best phone suitable for what you need...
[automerge]1595748116[/automerge]
An ~3 years old lg device....

Last edited:

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014

The size limit of the sensor would be given by the very own size of the phone and an equilibrium between the aesthetics/practicity of it if i had to guess. As i said software is as important if not more than it, but a lesser hardware only gets you so far.

If the future iphones improve just a bit the dynamic range, highlight roll off, detail and white balance while also improving the night video, especially by reducing the noise and they put a 10x zoom on it that would be end game for me. We are getting close, the 11's were a good improvement. Maybe the iphone 13 or 14 could be what i described.

Out of curiosity, what model is it? Do you use it mainly for video?

I got it from here: https://www.androidauthority.com/camera-sensor-size-1095299/

Last edited:

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
If you are serious about high quality results and you feel your abilities to capture a good shot are there just keep your current iPhone. Get a 3rd party camera app like Filmic Pro and editing software that offers color correction and grading for PC or Mac (need to be able to apply a LUT). The free version of Resolve can get you started with no investment. If you decide to invest into editing software you can then decide on Resolve, Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, etc...(free version of Resolve doesn't let you use built in HDR functions and some other features). Unfortunately you'll eventually need video editing software. Doing everything on phone isn't possible and from what I've seen those that do use creative liberties and tricks to mask certain things. Basically its expert difficulty mode that only turns out well because deficiencies in one aspect is made for with overwhelming talent in another aspect.
First, many thanks for such a comprehensive response :)
I'd didn't know about Resolve and it's a great idea to begin working with that first.
In fact, I was assuming that most of the editing work will be done on my Mac. It's a 2017 Air and admittedly not the best for video editing. I will, however, not be doing heavy lifting. Or, do you think even a mobile phone generated video file will require a pro level computer?
Isn't losing out on the ability to shoot HDR a big deal? Smartphone sensors are anyway small, so this sounds like a big compromise to make.
You aren't utilizing the camera you have now to its maximum potential, once you know an upgrade will benefit you then invest in more hardware. With a bit of dedication to learning and using a better camera apps and editing software your current iPhone can produce better results then newer better smartphones and even DSLRs if they are using linear capture functions (with caveats).
The hardware, in this case a smartphone camera is very important however its importance its vastly overshadowed by the skill and dedication of the person operating it. In this regard cinematography isn't much different than painting. If you gave me the worlds best paintbrush, paint and canvas I'll give you the worlds worst painting. I just don't know wtf I'm doing with a paintbrush so it doesn't matter how nice it is.
Agreed. I spent a lot of time digital camera forums, and it took me while to realise that most of these camera IQ, bokeh, debates were just a waste of time. Even basic 1" sensor cameras have more than enough IQ for most situations.
I now have a Fuji and with the developments in mobile photography, I am ready to leave behind DSLR and the incessant craze for the latest flagship.
That said, don't you think an iPhone sensor on the 7 or 8 is still too small. I mean doesn't it have a lot of noise which will really show up in low-light conditions?
And, something like the iPhone 11 with its low-light capabilities promises much more there?
Personally I would suggest starting with the basics. On a PC or Mac download the free version of Resolve and Filmic's deLOG / deFlat LUT (free on Filmic's webpage), import the LUT into Resolve. Download the Filmic Pro app ($) plus its Cinematography Kit ($ - required to record using their LOGv2). Watch all the tutorial videos and learn how to use the live analytics mostly to get your exposure as good as the scene allows. Then make 2 stationary recordings of a bright environment with shadows (wide range) especially with distinguishable details in the shadow area. Use the native iPhone camera app for one recording and the Filmic Pro app using LOGv2 profile for the other. Export the Filmic LOG capture from your iPhone to your PC/Mac and import it into Resolve. Go right to the color tab and the clip you made and apply the Filmic deLOG LUT, then render it out without any other altercations. Finally compare the native camera app video to the Filmic Pro LOG + LUT you just made.
Thanks. I'll definitely follow up your advise here.
That might sound complicated and it kind of is but all you are doing is capturing the video using a logarithmic profile (LOG) which distributes digital exposure values more evenly to capture details that would normal be outside a linear profiles range. The LOG video contains a wider tonal and dynamic range but on an uncorrected monitor will look washed out because the dark area of the curve is increased and bright area is decreased (low contrast). So you are then color grading in Resolve to apply the specific color look up table (LUT) which changes the profile color values back to a values (rec709) your monitor can correctly display.
Is this something you recommend in general while shooting video, or for a small sensor of "low" quality phone?
What happens if I skip this and just import the video to iMovies or whichever software is available? What do I lose out?
So comparing those specific videos (bright environment with shadow details) you'll easily see a difference of what the native app clipped and the Filmic Pro app LOGv2 preserved. Plus any issues can likely be blamed on something you did wrong when recoding the video so you know what you personally need to improve on. And the beauty of all this is with minimal investment you dramatically increased your ability to produce much better quality video from any source without actually doing any real editing like color correction, more artistic color grading, effects, filters, chroma subsampling, etc etc etc nor have you even scratched the surface of what either Filmic or Resolve are capable of so you can only see massive improvements moving forward.
This is a little technical to me at the moment (the only video I've ever taken is by pressing the record button on the iPhone ha ha) but it sounds like this is a sensible way to begin.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
The good news is that audio doesn’t change much between phones. Unless the connector changes from lightning to usb C sometime in the future, but quality wise, it’s all fairly similar. The bad news is syncing audio in a simple app like iMovie is sort of a pain. There’s no one button to sync everything like say Final Cut. It’s all manual. This is why I prefer to do everything “in camera”. It frees up a lot of editing time.
Definitely, that's how I like to do things. I loathe having to spend too much time on post-processing.
Can you suggest an audio setup for getting it right "in camera?"
Are there good but not so expensive bluetooth mics you can recommend?
Do you advice sticking to a wired mic for some reason? I've heard Rode is the best. Is that something I should be getting?
I'd appreciate any weblinks you have about setting up audio for recording.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
If the future iphones improve just a bit the dynamic range, highlight roll off, detail and white balance while also improving the night video, especially by reducing the noise and they put a 10x zoom on it that would be end game for me. We are getting close, the 11's were a good improvement. Maybe the iphone 13 or 14 could be what i described.
Agreed. I'd be quite happy with the setup. Imagine the capabilities and portability we would have!
Out of curiosity, what model is it? Do you use it mainly for video?
The X-E2s (23 & 35, both f2). Almost no video. I wanted a purist shooting experience, and it does great there.
I am pretty sure that it's days with me are numbered, if the pace of smartphone development goes on like this :)
Thanks. I've seen AA so many time, but didn't come across this. Smartphones seem more complicated than "real" cameras! Lol

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Definitely, that's how I like to do things. I loathe having to spend too much time on post-processing.
Can you suggest an audio setup for getting it right "in camera?"
Are there good but not so expensive bluetooth mics you can recommend?
Do you advice sticking to a wired mic for some reason? I've heard Rode is the best. Is that something I should be getting?
I'd appreciate any weblinks you have about setting up audio for recording.
Well, I’d have to know more about what you’re after generally. Interview type things or field recording etc.
I use the Centrance R4 and it’s been an excellent tool. But I also recommend the Shure Motiv line as well as the Sennheiser Memory Mic. Again, they each have their focus, so I can’t say which is best for you specifically.
As far as Rode, it’s a mixed bag. For example, I‘m not a big fan of their camera mounted shotgun mics, but then again, in certain cases, like their Video Mic Me-L, its perfectly usable, but its best when handheld and pointed at oneself. I also use a Lavalier and of course those are gonna have better results for other situations.
My advice is this: Get an interface that can connect to a variety of sources, like the Centrance Mixerface linked above or something like a Zoom F1 or H5. You can then decide what to hook up to it depending on the situation.
I’m an audio guy and the Centrance has been excellent (plus no screen menus etc and the preamps are clean and quiet). It’s a little pricier, but worth it.
Keep in mind, most if not all video apps record to channel 1 and 2 of the video. So if you got some multitrack recorder like a Zoom H5 and you‘re going into some input like channel 4, it may not route properly to the video, (perhaps theres some setting that routes everything out to stereo to the video.) All I’m saying is that when recording with a multitrack device, and you want to keep the video in sync in camera, you won’t be able to extract audio from the video and suddenly theres 6 individual audio tracks Etc. It’s limited to 2.
As a side note, I also use Moment lenses for my wide angle shots. While my iPhone 11 has wide angle, its a bit “soft” for indoor use in lower light. The main camera is best with a moment lens attached.
Good luck.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is this something you recommend in general while shooting video, or for a small sensor of "low" quality phone?
What happens if I skip this and just import the video to iMovies or whichever software is available? What do I lose out?

This is a little technical to me at the moment (the only video I've ever taken is by pressing the record button on the iPhone ha ha) but it sounds like this is a sensible way to begin.

I should back up a step and say your ability to capture something that provokes the correct emotional response for the viewer is the most important.

You don't have to do anything you don't want too either. However LOG allows the camera to capture and give you the most amount of detail due to its high dynamic range.

Skim through this page and look at the pics. Then read it if you can appreciate the difference that just this recording mode offers.

You'll want to do this eventually even with a high quality camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.