Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
This is a strange bug that popped up after updating to 13.0.1 - videos (whether played in QT or in Safari (like YouTube)) all rotate 90 deg clockwise and clip outside of the player!

Moving the mouse will immediately correct the video, only for it to glitch again a few frames later. What's more interesting - taking a screenshot does not show the effect, so I had to take a picture of my screen with my phone. Using an external monitor, but it happens both on the laptop screen as well with no monitor attached. Very weird!

Anyone else experiencing this? (M1 MBP)

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

skev25

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2022
I'm experiencing the same problem, however it seems this only occurs on my external display.
I'm using the HP Omen 27i via DP on 144hz. Changing Refresh Rates does not seem to fix this.
As soon as I move the window to the MBP Display, the problem disappears.
Another funny thing: As soon as I start a discord stream, it also disappears. Really weird.
Also on Ventura.

EDIT: Right now, It seem's I can fix it by setting the screen rotation of the external display to 90 degrees, then change it back to normal. Problem was gone after that. I don't now, however, for how long.

Last edited:

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
EDIT: Right now, It seem's I can fix it by setting the screen rotation of the external display to 90 degrees, then change it back to normal. Problem was gone after that. I don't now, however, for how long.
Can confirm that rotating the external display's monitor, then rotating is back to Standard fixes the issue! Thanks for the tip! Yea, not sure how long that will last, but anything is better than nothing at this point

Reactions: skev25

skev25

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2022
Glad it helped you too.
Let's hope it stays that way or, ideally, it get's fixed soon.

Greetings

katastropoulos

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
Germany
Same problem on my MacBook Pro M1 16 inch on 13.0.1 with two external Monitors connected.
Addition: one of the two external monitors is vertically rotated!
Here is an image of my setup. But the fix posted here seems to work. I have to rotate the vertical display output to horizontal and then back again to vertical which is annoying but better than having to reboot the system.

Groß (IMG_9844).jpeg

And by the way: why can't I post images from my iPhone in HEIC format into a weg page for Apple devices? Very strange, did not expect that a site that for years mostly covers apple stuff does not support adding images in HEIC format, I had to convert it to JPEG :-/

Last edited:
Reactions: alanvitek

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
Same problem on my MacBook Pro M1 16 inch on 13.0.1 with two external Monitors connected.
That's my setup currently! MacBook closed with two external monitors (one vertically rotated). I did the rotate trick mentioned above and since then it's been fine! Hope it helps you too

Naz-

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Mac Studio with M1 chip running MacOS 13.2 with 2 displays. This still happens on my secondary monitor. The rotate trick does work, but is only temporary.

Zafy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Made an account specifically to comment that I also have this issue.

I have 2 monitors via HDMI, one vertical, and the same issue occurs.

2021 Apple M1 Max, MacBookPro - 13.0

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Made an account specifically to comment that I also have this issue.

I have 2 monitors via HDMI, one vertical, and the same issue occurs.

2021 Apple M1 Max, MacBookPro - 13.0
Same here but only in Safari. Firefox does not flip video. m1 Mac studio

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
@Zafy and @BigJohno - did y'all try the rotation tricky mentioned above by @skev25 ?

From Skev25:
Right now, It seem's I can fix it by setting the screen rotation of the external display to 90 degrees, then change it back to normal. Problem was gone after that. I don't now, however, for how long.

That trick worked for me and I haven't had any issues since then. Currently on 13.3.1 and still works fine. I have one regular monitor, and one vertical one and use my MacBook in clamshell mode.

Ianblackburn

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
I have the same issue with two monitors; the second is vertically rotated. It only happens on the second monitor and periodically. The display settings change trick works temporarily. I have also noticed that it happens to Apple Maps - the chrome around the map is fine, but the map rotates 90degs! I am trying https://betterdisplay.pro to see if it makes life easier until Apple sort this out!

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2017
I have the same issue with two monitors; the second is vertically rotated. It only happens on the second monitor and periodically. The display settings change trick works temporarily. I have also noticed that it happens to Apple Maps - the chrome around the map is fine, but the map rotates 90degs! I am trying https://betterdisplay.pro to see if it makes life easier until Apple sort this out!
I've already tried BetterDisplay and sadly doesn't help.

I contacted Apple about this issue, as I am using an M2 Pro Mac Mini with 3 displays, 2 over Thunderbolt/USB-C to Full Size DisplayPort and the other over HdMI.

The issue happens on any display which is vertical and typically only after the second time the screensaver is shown (typically this means the Mac has slept at one point during that time too).

However, I'm also plagued with the issue that at random one or 2 screens will not display anything from wake. I have to physically unplug FROM THE DISPLAY (not the Mac Mini) in order for it to be detected again. There's something funky going on with these display controllers on these new Apple Silicon Macs, because I don't have any issues with my intel Macs and the exact same screens.

I have 6 of these Dell U2412M displays, 3 of them on the Mac Mini and 3 on a Mac Pro... this only happens on the Mac Mini, and Apple's response to this is that "the screens are not compatible" - and basically "buy a new screen"... No thank you Apple.. how about you fix this bug instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

Reactions: alanvitek

Ianblackburn

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
I've already tried BetterDisplay and sadly doesn't help.
I feel your pain - Apple should fix this asap!

If you haven't already noticed, you can set keyboard shortcuts for screen rotation in BetterDisplay. So now, when it happens (admittedly on my single vertical display), I hit a couple of keystrokes to remove rotation, then put it back, and it sorts it out. Not perfect at all, but relatively quick to do and has made my life a little easier 🙂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.