Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Some time after updating from Mavericks to Yosemite, I noticed that the Vietnamese holidays were gone from the native Calendar app. They had appeared previously, I believe based on my regional settings. I went to Calendar help and followed these instructions to the "T" but with no effect:

Show Holidays
1. In Calendar, choose Calendar>Preference. Then click General.
2. Select "Show Holidays calendar."

To change your region (to display different holidays) choose Apple menu>System Preferences, click Language & Region, then choose your region. In Calendar preferences, deselect "Show Holidays calendar" and select it again.

As I said, I followed this exactly but no Vietnamese holidays. If I switch my Region setting back to US and follow this procedure, the US holidays reappear even if I leave my timezone on Indochina time. There is a check box in Calendar>Preference>General which lets one shift to Chinese, Hebrew or Islamic. I don't want another whole calendar, just the Gregorian with Vietnamese holidays overlaid. Has anyone else had this or a similar experience involving any other country?

Last edited:

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks

This is not the first time you have kindly answered my what might seem like foolish questions. Especially when the answer was right under my nose. Of course the link is right on the drop-down as Find Calendar Subscriptions. Thanks.

I thought I would try to reverse engineer my search, so to speak. I went back to iCal Help and could not find a proper link using both terms. "Vietnamese Holidays" and "Vietnamese Calendar". I went to the Apple support pages and searched there. Interestingly, there if I searched for "Vietnamese Holidays" and "Vietnamese Calendar" I got nothing but if I searched for "Vietnamese Holiday Calendar", the link appeared not in the main search window but in the Product Information box in the lower left corner which was not immediately visible without scrolling down. This is not the first time that I have found Apple's search terms to be rather narrowly specific and that searches do not redirect well. Perhaps they should consult with their friends at Google. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.