Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
I am using the gmail app on iPad Air 4th generation (2020) and it has been working fine since I bought the iPad in December 2020. For the last week the “view entire message” option has stopped working.

When I receive a large email which is clipped, I click on “view entire message” and it always took me to a new screen showing the whole message. Recently the screen briefly looks like it is going to the full message screen but after a couple of seconds it reverts to the original email screen.

I have tried updating both the iPad to the latest iPadOS version 14.4.1 and the gmail app. I have switched the iPad off and on several times and deleted and reinstalled the gmail app several times but it still won’t work.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.

Andrew.

Attachments

• Gmail on iPad.png
    Gmail on iPad.png
    630.9 KB · Views: 897
Reactions: Acelliston

Acelliston

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
Same problem. I might add that I updated to the latest iOS 14.4.1 a few days ago, it worked prior to this. Problem was only noticed today.

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Same problem. I might add that I updated to the latest iOS 14.4.1 a few days ago, it worked prior to this. Problem was only noticed today.
That’s a good point. I did update quite recently but I’m not sure whether that’s when the problem arose.

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Doesn't that link just open the email in a browser that's incorporated into the Gmail app? Does opening any link to a webpage in Gmail work?
Yes, I thought that was how it worked, but all other links (such as the link to this forum) work fine!

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
I just tried changing the default browser from Chrome to Safari in case that helped. It didn’t! The problem is the same when the gmail app uses Safari as default browser.

Acelliston

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
Temporarily I am using the iOS eMail app to view emails with “View entire message” links. I have not been a fan of the iOS email app for when the focus automatically moves from one message to the next, such as after deleting an email, the iOS email app marks the following message as Read whether you did read it or not. You then need to reverse that.

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Temporarily I am using the iOS eMail app to view emails with “View entire message” links. I have not been a fan of the iOS email app for when the focus automatically moves from one message to the next, such as after deleting an email, the iOS email app marks the following message as Read whether you did read it or not. You then need to reverse that.
Yes, I’m doing the same. It’s a minor inconvenience which it looks like we are going to have to live with, at least until a future update. Thanks for your comments.

pH7

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
I have exactly the same, irritating problem. Do we have any way of knowing if the correct developers, whether Google or Apple are aware of this problem and whether or not the will be a future update that fixes it?

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
I have exactly the same, irritating problem. Do we have any way of knowing if the correct developers, whether Google or Apple are aware of this problem and whether or not the will be a future update that fixes it?
I've reported it via the "send feedback to google" option on the desktop gmail help page. I'm sure this will go nowhere but there's no harm in doing this.

Andrew9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Thanks for posting on gmail community. I have posted there confirming the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.