Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Is anyone actually using this feature? This can be found in Settings > Photos.

For the longest time I couldn’t figure out why the highlights on my photos were blown out and over sharpened when viewing them in the stock Photos app. Turns out View Full HDR was the culprit all along.

Turning this useless feature off finally made my photos look good again. I’m currently running the latest beta and this is still an issue, not sure how this hasn’t been brought up as a major issue yet.

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
Is anyone actually using this feature? This can be found in Settings > Photos.

For the longest time I couldn’t figure out why the highlights on my photos were blown out and over sharpened when viewing them in the stock Photos app. Turns out View Full HDR was the culprit all along.

Turning this useless feature off finally made my photos look good again. I’m currently running the latest beta and this is still an issue, not sure how this hasn’t been brought up as a major issue yet.

Thank God a thread about this ISSUE! I have been searching everywhere about this for a month now. Only thing i could find was an old thread 8 months on reddit about this! I guess this hasnt been fixed and i dont see it getting fixed anytime soon since not many people notice it!

An easy way to notice it is to take a photo with something white in it. Take a screenshot of it. Then move from the original photo to the screenshot and back and watch the whites and highlights BLOW.

P. S. I think its only an issue on 11 pro and 11 pro max. I airdroped a photo to a friends xs max and with the view full hdr on, highlights do not blow out

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Thank God a thread about this ISSUE! I have been searching everywhere about this for a month now. Only thing i could find was an old thread 8 months on reddit about this! I guess this hasnt been fixed and i dont see it getting fixed anytime soon since not many people notice it!

An easy way to notice it is to take a photo with something white in it. Take a screenshot of it. Then move from the original photo to the screenshot and back and watch the whites and highlights BLOW

Been playing around with this and the overall effect is minor unless your photo is inclusive for vibrant colors, especially whites and neon colors.
I have never paid a lot of attention as I do most of my photo work on an IPP or MB, not my Pro Max.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011

An easy way to notice it is to take a photo with something white in it. Take a screenshot of it. Then move from the original photo to the screenshot and back and watch the whites and highlights BLOW.

P. S. I think its only an issue on 11 pro and 11 pro max. I airdroped a photo to a friends xs max and with the view full hdr on, highlights do not blow out

Yeah I don’t know why this isn’t brought up more often. In bright outdoor photos this feature just totally kills the photo, overblown highlights and way too sharp.

I’ve reported this to Apple via the Feedback app since I’m on the beta. I suggest you all do the same.
[automerge]1592152837[/automerge]
Been playing around with this and the overall effect is minor unless your photo is inclusive for vibrant colors, especially whites and neon colors.
I have never paid a lot of attention as I do most of my photo work on an IPP or MB, not my Pro Max.

It just makes photos look horrible on our phones though. Most of the time you’re sharing what you have on your phone with others. I just hope they fix this sooner than later!

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah I don’t know why this isn’t brought up more often. In bright outdoor photos this feature just totally kills the photo, overblown highlights and way too sharp.

I’ve reported this to Apple via the Feedback app since I’m on the beta. I suggest you all do the same.

Will do also. On outdoor photos for me is not a super issue btw. I mostly notice it indoors. As i have beige tiles on the floor with light details in them. Taking a photo inside my house with those tiles in the photo with the view full hdr on, makes them look bright white and the details in them become black.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Thank you so much for positing about this. I personally am still running iOS 13.3.1 but this issue has been driving me crazy and I couldn’t figure out why. I own a white car and I am into automobile photography and I couldn’t stand how it made the car look super blown out and icky. When using the pop-over view or sharing it, was fine. Just disabled it and I’m so happy I did.
Hopefully they’ll fix the beta!

Reactions: TL24

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Thank you so much for positing about this. I personally am still running iOS 13.3.1 but this issue has been driving me crazy and I couldn’t figure out why. I own a white car and I am into automobile photography and I couldn’t stand how it made the car look super blown out and icky. When using the pop-over view or sharing it, was fine. Just disabled it and I’m so happy I did.
Hopefully they’ll fix the beta!

Yeah it drove me crazy as well until I figured out just what the hell was causing the issue. I just hope everyone submits their own feedback to Apple so it can be looked at and addressed.

Reactions: dk001

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
the hdr view on mac photos looks awful on the M1 pros. i don't use the photos app but my partner does and all the photos looked awful. he was trying to show me stones and was confused cause they looked nothing like the actual stones. finally went into settings and this hdr view is on by default. it's just trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.