Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Anyone here use a Samsung Viewfinity S9 monitor? I got mine last week at work. Panel is very nice, and it looks sharp, though not as solid as the Apple displays. I like the simplicity of it just connecting to it with Thunderbolt to power my M1 Max. I have had this happen twice now, seems to be when I am away from my desk for a bit. The screen will be off and no longer powering my MacBook Pro. I try disconnecting from the laptop and plug back in, nothing. No signal for the screen and no power. The only way I get it to work and power is to unplug the power cable from the monitor and plug it back in. I cannot make this happen so hard to problem solve. I was wondering if anyone else has had this with theirs?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone here use a Samsung Viewfinity S9 monitor? I got mine last week at work. Panel is very nice, and it looks sharp, though not as solid as the Apple displays. I like the simplicity of it just connecting to it with Thunderbolt to power my M1 Max. I have had this happen twice now, seems to be when I am away from my desk for a bit. The screen will be off and no longer powering my MacBook Pro. I try disconnecting from the laptop and plug back in, nothing. No signal for the screen and no power. The only way I get it to work and power is to unplug the power cable from the monitor and plug it back in. I cannot make this happen so hard to problem solve. I was wondering if anyone else has had this with theirs?
I had a similar problem with an LG monitor. Solution was to disable a setting called "deep sleep". Not sure if the Samsung has something similar, but go through the sleep and eco/low power settings and see if anything in there could be of help.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I had a similar problem with an LG monitor. Solution was to disable a setting called "deep sleep". Not sure if the Samsung has something similar, but go through the sleep and eco/low power settings and see if anything in there could be of help.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did go through all the settings and everything like that is turned off by default. I tried changing where it is plugged in. Not much hope there, but if it happens again I will just do a return with Amazon and get another one.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Im having similar issues with mine. This monitor is causing kernel panics with my macs during wakeup form sleep. Do you get the "your computer has been restarted because of a problem" after you get back into your computer. I think it's a software issue that hopefully can be fixed. But figuring out who to fix the issues is a pain. Apple or samsung?

MacArturo

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I am having similar issues.
Viewfinity S9 connected to:
Mx Studio M2 max through thunderboldt
HP Laptop through Displayport.

Issue 1.
Having my laptop and Mac connect, after being working on my laptop (laptop select as input in the viewfinity) the Mac disappeared from the list of conected devices.

Issue 2.
I have edited several the connected device name of my mac in the monitor connected device list to "Mac" but it stays like that for a while then changes back to the default "PC"

Issue 3.
I got kernel panics. They happen after I left my mac unattended and get back, just to find the message your computer has been restarted because of a problem"

Im having similar issues with mine. This monitor is causing kernel panics with my macs during wakeup form sleep. Do you get the "your computer has been restarted because of a problem" after you get back into your computer. I think it's a software issue that hopefully can be fixed. But figuring out who to fix the issues is a pain. Apple or samsung?
@lostless Could you please tell how did you identified the monitor is causing the panic kernels? I want to find out if it is my case too.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Just stumbled along it looking to find out why my new computer was just kernel panicking. Found on Reddit. but Also some Amazon reviews and samsung reviews about it. Many people having this issue With the exact same kernel drivers causing the issue. did some tests with other monitors and no issues. I did make a change to 2 settings on the monitor that seems to work (so far) is under the connectivity menu, turn on quick wake and change the input mode to auto. But it’s only been one day. If it keeps happing, I’m probably going to return the monitor.

Edit. Never mind. Still crashed today.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Is the kernel panic happening when the computer goes to sleep? Mine rarely gets to the sleep point. I have the screen saver set to come on after 5 minutes, never an issue with that. I changed where I was plugged into a UPC to a direct wall connection and have not had the disconnect issue in a couple of days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.