Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is frustrating to me that the Apple Watch is limited to viewing 6 articles. As someone who uses the cellular option with my Ultra 2, I don't always have my phone with me and it would be nice to be able to view all the standard News articles I wish, along with my favorites. I don't understand why Apple hamstrings the app in such a manner.

I would like to see the upcoming WatchOS offer better viewing of Apple News on the Apple Watch, especially when I am paying for cellular service.

I also like the Newsify app layout. I think it does an even better job on the Apple Watch with the picture and text than Apple News, in making it very easy to read articles. Alas, it doesn't support cellular watch only use. I haven't come across an app yet, that offers cellular service support with the kind of visual appeal of Apple News and Newsy.

• Love
Reactions: arc of the universe

Awoniyi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
As far as I know (ie, whenever I try and view Apple News on my AWU) you can only see the preview to 5-6 stories in the app?

Annoyingly you can forward the link to yourself via iMessage, and then open it from there to read the full article! But you can't read the full thing directly from the app? Unless I've been reading it wrong this whole time

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I'm with Awoniyi; I don't see a way to read any articles from the watch. All I can see are the headlines of the top 6 articles, and when I press "Read more" on each I get a one or two sentence blurb that would far more accurately be called a "teaser" than the article itself.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm with Awoniyi; I don't see a way to read any articles from the watch. All I can see are the headlines of the top 6 articles, and when I press "Read more" on each I get a one or two sentence blurb that would far more accurately be called a "teaser" than the article itself.
With the Newsify app, you can read the entire article. You can also do that with the News Explorer app, so long as your watch is connected to your phone or on WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bichon

Awoniyi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
Yeh this is what I see - but by messaging myself the article I can open it in the messages app on the watch to read the full thing which is an annoying workaround!

I never take my phone to the gym but being able to skim read a news article on the watch in-between sets is helpful. Maybe I should stop reading news at the gym or check out the Newsify app mentioned here! Shame the Apple News app doesn't allow this, but think its probably something Apple want users to switch to their phone for

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
It is frustrating to me that the Apple Watch is limited to viewing 6 articles. As someone who uses the cellular option with my Ultra 2, I don't always have my phone with me and it would be nice to be able to view all the standard News articles I wish, along with my favorites. I don't understand why Apple hamstrings the app in such a manner.

Even the Apple developers. Just because you can create a news app for a 1 inch screen, doesn’t mean you should…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.