Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Is it possible to perform an action similar to "View Package Contents" on an IPA file? Here's why I ask...

I love Mahjong, but hate most of the default "character" and number based tile sets. So, I normally make my own. This is usually pretty trivial with most Mahjong games on the Mac. It generally amounts to viewing the package contents, finding the resource(s) for the tile art, and modifying it appropriately.

I'd love to be able to do this for one (maybe several) of the Mahjong games on the iPhone.

I'm imagining an IPA is really just a collection of files, similar to any Mac app. Am I correct? Unfortunately, I'm on a PC at work currently and can't verify this for myself. I will say though, I sure can't find a way to "open" one up in Windows.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Change the .ipa extension to .zip and unpack the archive.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Change the .ipa extension to .zip and unpack the archive.
dZp, you rock. Looks like this can work! This will become a nice little project for me...

Now, what was the best app for converting iPhone PNGs?

EDIT: Found it! I've got PNGs that look like tiles! w00t!

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I have changed some items in the package...how do I put the app on my iPod?
Just compress the contents of the folder, not the folder itself, meaning, select everything in the folder, ctrl-click and compress. You can rename the archive to the name of the app and then change the .zip extension to .ipa and double-click on it to add it to iTunes and then you can sync it to your iPod.

Yondaime111

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Just compress the contents of the folder, not the folder itself, meaning, select everything in the folder, ctrl-click and compress. You can rename the archive to the name of the app and then change the .zip extension to .ipa and double-click on it to add it to iTunes and then you can sync it to your iPod.
I did that and it said that it was not a valid application

Yondaime111

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
never mind...I fixed the problem. I have a new problem now though. When I try to copy the application onto my iPod, it says that it was not installed onto my ipod because "it could not be verified." How do I fix this?

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
never mind...I fixed the problem. I have a new problem now though. When I try to copy the application onto my iPod, it says that it was not installed onto my ipod because "it could not be verified." How do I fix this?
Because you altered the .app's contents (I presume), then the signature of the application is not valid and therefore the application cannot be verified. There are ways around this but I'll let you google it because it would probably be against MacRumors' rules.
<cough>
MobileInstallation
</cough>

ellipsis

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Same prob

Hi i had the same problem, "it is not a valid application". how did you fix the problem?

flyingstefano

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Skype 3.0.1 ipa file

Because you altered the .app's contents (I presume), then the signature of the application is not valid and therefore the application cannot be verified. There are ways around this but I'll let you google it because it would probably be against MacRumors' rules.
<cough>
MobileInstallation
</cough>

Hi, I stumbled upon your thread while trying to install on my iPhone 3g the older version of Skype 3.0.1, since the latest one is really $%%$#.
I was able to download the old version however I'm unable to sync it because the plist is under a different owner. I was able to edit the plist and change the apple ID however I'm unable to change the owner's name and this prevents me from syncing it .. and I hope that this is the only issue that prevents me from doing it.
Maybe you have a better way to go about this?
thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Once you modified the IPA te signature won't match, you need to removed the signature check, you can use AppSync (google it) for that, most developers uses it for testing. As a side note please if you are not the developer of such a IPA just don't distributed it, I had changed myself some images and a few configurations on some App just to make it work with some JB tweaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.